nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Hell is freezing. Alonso, the youngest winner of an F1 race ever, not only won in a Renault--but lapped Michael Schumacher.

The Michelins? The set-up problems? What is it? Amazing.

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
Michelins are a partial problem they will come back strong but not until next year. The car is not as good as it should be. I think they should have stayed with last years car and the developments in that would have kept him further up in points. Once Michael got stuck behind Coulthard and Trulli he gave up and settled for his position knowing he has more races and beeing taken off was not a good option.

Face it Ferrari have had their time and now it cyles back to Renault. They will have 2 or 3 good years then expect a resurgance from Williams and followed closely by McLaren. 

Remember Renault was a powerhouse in the early 80's and I didn't think they would ever get touched. Until that is, they banned Turbos and made it normally aspirated. Then Renault said they ahd nothing left to prove and they definately had the best turbo package out.

Alonso is good and may be great but unless they get the power up the great chassis / suspension set up will be wasted.

All hail 8 cylinders for 2005. As much as I will miss V10's and 12's this is more in line with engineering development for your daily driver.

As much as the changes suck at least they have some great inovations until they get banned.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Hungary is a tight, crappy track that was designed by none other than Uncle Bernie his own self. None of the drivers like it, and Mansell is one of the only people I have ever seen pull off an outside pass there.

The next three world driving champions finished on the podium today. Alonso is the real deal, and so is the new Renault chassis. Renault's V-10 was the engine of choice (along with Newey's FW-14, 15, and 16 chassis) back in the early 90's. In '92, '93, 96, and '97 they ruled all. Only Schumi's superior driving and his ability to build a team around him kept Williams from winning 6 straight world championships. Schumi and Benetton (with Renault power) barely beat Williams in '94 and '95. The late 80's and early 90's were highly entertaining years for Formula One fans. Looks like Alonso, Kimi, and Montoya may take us back to those days.

Last edited:

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
Agreed.

Julius your memory is fantastic. I remember the Williams/ Renault  partnership and never thought it could be beat.

The future is those 3 drivers. I was a Mansell fan back in his years and talked with Bobby Rahal the year he was coming over to cart. I asked him what he thought of Mansell's chances in CART and he said ' he will have to learn like everyone else '. Since I didn't like Rahal I thought that was typical of his snooty arrogance. Well Mansell came over and wiped the floor here ( apart from screwing up Pheonix and Indy ) his passing on the outside when the commentators said it couldn't be done was fantastic.

Coulthard has been my favorite driver since then but he has always been the 2nd man in a team and even though down on skill to many of the greats like Senna and Schumacker still deserved the championship the year that they made him give up a first to Mika when by the end of the year those points would have made the difference.

As long as money woes don't crowd the season, next year will be intriguing. This year is confusing but fun to watch.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i am just dissapointed with Villenerve more than anything, although i cant blame him for cashing in (he gets jiggy with Kylies sister which has to be a bonus), but i think he has been the only person with enough speed to bring it to Shumacher the last few years

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Shuey didnt look his usual self-no agression -there was a few overtaking places(witness Ralf going from last to 3rd or was it 4th?) but Micheal was just driving around-its not a good omen.

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
I've been chearing for Montoya and Williams this year and it's been great. One point out of the drivers series and Leading the Constructors now! They've got a solid base and are going to be hard to beat!

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I'd hate to think that Villeneuve is done. In '96 he qualified on the pole in his first F1 race (a feat that has never been matched) and led most of the race. He had the win in the bag until his car started losing oil and he had to back off. He still finished a stellar 2nd in his inaugural Gran Prix.

He won the World Championship in his second year., then left the Williams team for BAR and big money.

I can't fault the man for taking BAR's money and driving a second-rate car. It's a shame that his potential may never be realized, but 10 million clams a year is adequate compensation for the sacrifice.

There have been rumors that he'll take Schumi's place next year. Ferrari and another Villeneuve would be a magic combination.

F1 guys bag all the babes. A couple of years ago I downloaded a screensaver of Coulthard and a beautiful woman standing in the pits at Monaco. I cut his head off and put mine in its place. It's a MUCH better picture now. :cool:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
All hail 8 cylinders for 2005. As much as I will miss V10's and 12's this is more in line with engineering development for your daily driver.

I agree, and along that line I have always wondered (besides R&D), what the manufacturers benefit from this? They must dump millions into these cars--where are they getting their money back? In this case, it can't be "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday", can it? How would, for example, an F1 car racing on Sunday, sell a "Twingo" or "New Kangaroo" on Monday? ;) Most people driving a Renault wouldn't even know what Formula 1 is, would they? (No offense to Renault drivers)

Do they get some kind of sponsorship percentage out of the deal?
Royalties from Tele/Track?
What?

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
F1-driven R & D is priceless. The pace of development in any given year is nothing short of furious. It pays, too. BMW ruled the turbo F1 era, and they have reaped the benefits of the technology for the last 15 years.

The manufacturers supply engines to their "factory" teams for free. Most of the manufacurers have also supplied engine packages to second-tier teams, and the fees offset a great deal of their cost. The Petronas badged engines in the Sauber cars are year old Ferrari powerplants. Jordan is using Ford (Jaguar) customer engines this year.

Brand awareness is much higher in Europe than it is here. Here in the Ham a local group of Euro expatriates get together every raceday at 5 am to watch the race and discuss its ramifications. These guys are die-hard BMW, Mercedes, etc. fans, and you can bet your last Twinkie that Euro sales are made from F1 wins.

FIA pays travel expenses and and picks up the tab for promotional exercises on a sliding scale basis (according to the number of WC points earned the previous year). That's why the Manufacturer's Championship points chase is a bigger deal than the Driver's championship. There are millions of dollars at stake for each team.

I have no concrete evidence, but I'm fairly certain that Uncle Bernie subsidizes some of the manufacturing costs as well. Bernie keeps all the telly money, and now that his digital PPV deal has flopped, we're getting the good stuff on free-to-air. :thumb:

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
Darn Julius I was going to reply to that. Oh well you put it much better.

Believe Julius - Brand awarness and the relationship with Formula 1 in Europe is extremely high and I suspect Asia and Australia as well.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Oh, I do. I was just wanting the information--it doesn't make sense from an American perspective where Nascar sells TIDE, not Chevrolet. Ridiculous, and embarassing.

I remember in SoCal--I had a friend (patient) that invited me out to 'look around the shop'. They raced the Desert series in the Pro Trucks and were directly sponsored by Ford. Ford would send them bits and pieces, and so many of them, that he ended up building an entire pickup from ground up (98 F250 or something) and drove it home for free. They had about 10,000 pounds of chrome moly laying around, in various sizes and lengths. There were 10 all aluminum 428 inch SVO big blocks sitting upstairs, under plastic. I remember a spent truck's ignition failed, so the one I sat in and started had a chevy HEI, and two MSD7A's sequentially hooked to two off-HEI coils, and crank triggered. All of it was homemade. I was amazed.

I can't imagine what an F1 shop looks like.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Did you see the urinals in that place? No...I'm not kidding. They are very, shall we say, urodynamic.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom