Scott damper: bolt-on vs. weld-on

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Is there any reason to go with the weld-on version of the Scott's? Does the bolt-on clamp seem to stay secure?

Also, does a person have to install replacement bar clamps & larger bars? The Scott's webpage seems to indicate you need to go with the 1 1/8" bars to make it work on a KDX. :think:

???

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I heard a rumour that scotts was changing the availability of some of there parts. In a way that will only make the scotts MORE expensive!!

The clamp on is fine. I put one on my riding buddy's exc, worked fine. There's flex in the post, but the attachment is solid. DID follow the instructions (ha! Just cuz it wasn't MY bike!), and used a cutoff tool to grind excess weld off the steering head to ensure proper fit of the post ring. If you didn't do that, there wouldn't be much 'bite' to the mount.

You need 40mm (I think it is) distance between the crossbar and the top clamp for the unit to fit. You don't get that generally without a bowed crossbar. You may be able to bend YOUR crossbar, depending on what bar you have. Renthal for example usually glues the crossbar brackets to the bar, so you can't move them as would be required for fit after you bend the bar.

As scotts says, they do NOT sell the crossbar by itself...you need to buy a bar set if you want one.

Scotts makes note of bar bushings being a problem with their damper. The entire damping process is taking place THROUGH those bushings. They get tweaked, then the damper alignment to the post is off. That may damage the damper if it's too far off/not fixed soonest. They make high durometer bushings to replace the smushy oem rubbers. I'd prefer to keep the isolation of the softer bushings.

That, and I'd prefer the damping action to happen as close to the wheel as possible is why I have a WER on my shopping list.

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
Hey CC,

You unknowingly have answered a question that I have had for sometime "but was afraid to ask".

I was wondering which damper I should go with, Scotts or WER. All my freinds have a Scotts and swear by them. I was leaning toward the WER for several reasons, cheaper, easier to install, and most of all, I did not want to go the whole new top triple clamp, bar, bar clamp route that the Scotts web site claims is the best set up...for 599.00 !!!!

From reading some your posts on the board I trust your opinion. If the WER is good enough for you, then it's good enough for me! I'm putting one on my CHristmas list right away!

Thanks,
Chuck

:aj:

lightsts

Jul 8, 2002
Have had problems with the clamp on's coming loose. Prefer the weld on units.

Have made my own bowed cross bar out of other cross bars. Look in your bent bars pile, not all brands have the same length cross bar. Find one longer than the one on your bike and get busy with the vise and a piece to pipe to make it fit right. Good luck

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…