Scott's Damper installation help...

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
Hi all,

I broke down and picked up a Scott's steering damper and it just came in today... I got the weld on version because they told me at Scott's that there wasn't enough demand for KDX bolt on towers and they didn't want to make more... I found that INCREDIBLY frustrating, but I'm just a customer...

Anyhow, I was looking over the weld on piece and according to the instructions its going to require not only welding, but grinding, maybe bending and perhaps cutting...

Can anyone share any stories about their Scott's damper install? I know that there are many machine shop types out there and that the welding and fab process is probably a no brainer, but to me, wrenching on the parts that come off and on with bolts and screws is about it, and I really didn't want to shell out perhaps another 100 bucks to weld on the post, not to mention that I can't see a shop taking the time and care to grind and shape the post mount like it says is optimal in the instructions... There is also VERY LITTLE space between the front of the tank and the frame steer tube where the post is apparently suppose to go...

I know the bolt on is supposed to not be as rigid as the weldon, but at least the bolt on one is... well... bolt on, and I could ride the bike tomorrow instead of it maybe being out of commission for quite a while...

The post looks like a tube welded to a triangular piece which has a large radius on the bottom. Looks very much like an arrow (wish I could attach pics here)

Anyway, any insight as to how you dealt with an installation of the weld-on version is much appreciated...

Thanks in advance!

Feanor

Quailchaser

Jan 30, 2004
This is exactly the reason I went with the W.E.R. for the KDX. Scott's stuff is great, but thier committment to the KDX is minimal as you have just experienced.

What kind of welder are you using? I haven't done this (as my above statement reflects) but if I were to...

I would mount the damper as per Scott's instructions. I would then put the weld on post into position to get a visual reference as to where it needs to go to clear the tank. Then, I would remove the tank to a safe distance and re-position the post and put one tack weld just to hold it in place. Let it cool and then set the tank back in to make sure it clears and to give you an idea of how much room you have to work. If everything is ok...move the tank far away and weld the post on solid. Use the grinder to clean up the weld. Shoot some paint. Put gas tank back on. Ride like crazy.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Weird. I have a scotts with the bolt on part.
Bought it from central alabama motorsports. Was GPR that could not get me parts for a KDX, not scotts.

As for the welding, if you were local I would do it for you for free to help a fellow biker.
Find a local biking club, and I bet you can find someone with a welder.

Barring that, $10 (or maybe $20 in Kali) will get that job done for cash at a wleding shop.

Phil

marksharp

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
Bolt on vs. weld

When I first ordered the Scotts damper, it was delayed because they didn't have the bolt on tower. I finally got impatient and took the weld on so they would send the unit. Had it welded, no big deal, but kind of a tight fit. About 4 months later the tower cracked and was not repairable, so I oredered a bolt on and low and behold they had one in stock. Installed it and no problems ever since. I think Scotts has the bolt on part made by another company and the delivery is inconsistent. I still think Scotts has the best unit, love the adjust on the fly feature. Only an opinion.

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
Thanks for the replies guys!

When I talked to the rep at Scott's Performance he sounded pretty definitive that they would not be making any more bolt on towers for the KDX, or the KLX I would assume since I think they have the same steering head dimensions and geometry...

At any rate I'm scrambling, looking around for local motocycle shops that might do the work. I'd rather have a motorcycle repair/frame shop do it rather than a general welder only because my take is that the welders with motorcycle experience will know things like what parts to protect from heat or electrical current on the bike while they work...

I'm scrambling because I want to ride weekend after next and I have the new triple, bar, mount and damper all installed and would feel really silly crashing and then looking at the unnattached damper wondering if it would have helped *laughing*

Feanor

Woodsquest

I love DRN!
Dec 15, 2004
I used one for a Yamaha. It was made for a larger steering stem, but I cut a piece out of the ring portion and welded on a nut arrangement and turned it into a clamp. It slid right on and I tightened down the bolt and nut I welded on. Works fine.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
That's really funny because I talked to Emig racing and they told me it was just a KX125 tower...
The outer Dia on the steering kneck was the same as the KDX....

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
Zerotact said:
That's really funny because I talked to Emig racing and they told me it was just a KX125 tower...
The outer Dia on the steering kneck was the same as the KDX....

No lie Zero?

I was about to say that it was open and shut when I asked the rep at Scott's on the phone if ANY other bolt tower would work and he said "no", not to knock them over there, but they make assemblies for literally dozens upon dozens of road and dirtbikes, I wonder if the person I was talking to just wasn't sure and went for the safe, easy answer...

Its pretty darn hard to believe that of all the Kawi dirtbikes KDXs, KXs, and KLXs that not even ONE of the steering diameters/front end geometries between models was similar if not exactly the same...

I hate being a pest and calling them up and sounding like I have more info than them, (they've been really nice on the phone) but if I find out that the KX-125 bolt on and the KDX bolt on are the same and they failed to tell me or check, I'll be pretty danged disappointed in them especially after spending over $600 on one of their kits...

I'll send them a nice email and see if I can't get them to really convince me that the KDX's are SO different from the rest of the Kawi dirtbikes that none of the other towers will work...

I think they should probably take the KDX bolt on tower off their site as well as you can still order it...

Thanks again all!

Feanor

Top Bottom