BRP Bar Mounts with Scotts Stabilizer

Red_Rooster

May 26, 2005
Has anyone had success with using the BRP oversize bar and stabilizer mount on the stock tripleclamp for a 95-2006 KDX? Scotts says it wont work without changing out the triple clamp. BRP says it will work just fine. Scotts says the issue is that the barmounts arent flat on the triple clamp, but that they lean forward (toward the rider) a bit, and mounting the dampemner has to be perpendicular to the triple clamp. Again, BRP says it will be fine.

I went ahead and ordered the protaper bars, Barmounts, Stabilizer mount (top bar mount piece). I have the stabilizer already, but neither Scotts nor BRP had the bolt on stabilizer tower in stock. Will I be ok? Any experience would be great. Also, what is the best source for the bar mount cones? should I use new stock cones, or get the Scotts cones. Will CR cones work, or are they different from the KX/KDX cones?

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
I put the CR cones in, and it seemed like they went in a little too deep. It looked like the aluminim ends were just going to sandwhich on to the tripples, effectively making them rigid. I put a spacer between the cones which caused them to fatten as they were compressed, and left the rubber making all of the contact. They seem to work ok. I can post a photo.

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
Here is a photo of the CR mounts I used.

Attachments

• upper tripple comp.JPG
    upper tripple comp.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 284

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Yeah I'd say your gonna need a top triple clamp. It needs to line up with the mounting tower like they say. Makes sense if you think about it. Yeah the CR cones are the same for KDX. I had some before I switched to a solid triple clamp. They used a small rubber spacer in bewteen the cones. I iked 'em. Felt more solid to me and vibrated the same.

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
5/8" - I didn't like the idea of them touching and 5/8" worked out perfectly. I used the Kuoba links to lower the rear over an inch, so I may need to lower the front even more.

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
Cr Mounts

I went with the CR mounts after bending my bars and tweaking them in the mounts after a brief joust with a tree (I lost). After reading these forums, it was recommended to use CR mounts because they are a bit stiffer (which they are) than the stock KDX. I got the CR mounts off the rack at a local dealer, then ordered the one-piece top clamp from FRP. I really like what it has done, as I have survived more jousting!

Top Bottom