Scott's Steering Damper Questions

CR500rrocks

Mar 1, 2004
Hey Guys,
New here and this place looks likea great resource.
I have some questions regarding my Scotts steering damper on my '93 CR500 from those who are familiar with them.

1) How do you, or where is, the sweep adjustment? I have no idea where mine's set at but it seems fine. I'd just like to play around with it. I hear the sweep is adjustable from 17 to 27 degrees?

2) What makes for stiffer turning...regarding the screw-type knob? Screwed out or in? I'm currently set at 6 out. Is that fairly tight? Maybe because the 500's are famous for headshake that's a good spot?

3) What's the "S" and "H" stand for on the other dial? I have it set almost to the "H" currently as I still get headshake when I move it near the "S" although it steers easier in turns when set near the "S".

Basically I didn't get any Scott's instructions with the bike and while I basically understand what it's doing can anyone answer these questions for me?

Thanks, John :)

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
The sweep adjustment is a small flathead screw on each side. I have my big knob set about 8 clicks out for mx. Scotts has a manual I believe on thier website, I've seen it before.

CR500rrocks

Mar 1, 2004
Jeff Gilbert said:
The sweep adjustment is a small flathead screw on each side. I have my big knob set about 8 clicks out for mx. Scotts has a manual I believe on thier website, I've seen it before.

I'm not seeing any screws on the sides at all. Maybe I have an older one that just has one sweep setting?? I don't know...

Mines about 6 years old but it looks just like the new ones on their site from what I can tell. I couldn't find any kind of manual there either but I did email them with the questions,

Thanks.

jeddclampette

Feb 23, 2004
Gpr

I had heard about the multi matrixized configurations embedded into the Scott's damper.

That's why I went with the GPR damper- six simple settings clearly marked on the huge knob. Bolt it on and go ride.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…