DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
I know a couple guys that ride MX with them. They say it helps them in rutted sections and when they get bumped by other riders. They turn them way down to the lower settings.

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
I use one on my bike, but I come from the off-road world.
There are a few riders that used them occasionally in the MXDN.
Guy Cooper is the only guy I know of that used one in MX and SX.
Regards

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
Can someone explain how they help in woods riding? If you hit a root that is sorta parrallel to the trail will it help to keep the front wheel from sliding along the root and making you fall? How else does it help?

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
It really helps in "deflection". In other words, say you were clocking along a trail at about 40-50 and caught the edge of a rock. In most cases it might cause you to crash or at least go off the trail. With the steering damper it won't do that, or at least not to the same extent. Another scenario is if the bike you ride had head-shake, the damper will cure that. I rode for years without one, but since getting on about 4 years ago you couldn't catch me without it again.
Regards

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
It also helps the bike track straighter in mud and sand as well as not letting it clang against the steering stops if you clip a tree, etc. I won't ride without one but all I ride is woods. I'm sure there'd be some benefits to MX, too, but probably not quite as many.

Oct 27, 2000
Many riders use them to race MX. Check out the latest Motocross Action test on Dowds bike. A good thing about the Scotts damper is you can adjust the degree of how far it dampens as you turn the bike. Dowds is a custom GPR that replicates this, I believe. You could still run the setting stiff for straight line stability for MX. This really helps in straight line ruts. They also seem to help arm pump. It cuts back on your death grip. I run mine in MX and in the woods and love it for both.

John Curea

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 29, 2000
How about a foot peg dampner??

That combined with an automatic panic rev button should just be the ticket for coming up short...........:cool:

Oct 27, 2000
KX VET,

We will have to work on that at the MX TECH EAST COAST test track. There seems to be a need for it. Talk to Jeremy and see if he has any suggestions.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom