screwy brakes

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
i was just out riding today, and noticed a wierd thing with my brakes. when the bike is leaned over to the left, the lever (brake) will go all the way to the grip. when leaned to the right, the lever will go about halfway to the grip before it stops. But, (this is the wierd part) if the lever is pulled in till it stops, then leaned to the left, nothing happens. it stays the same "pressure." The same from left to right. I figured it was low fluid level, but that doesent explain the left-to-right-to-left thing. i would ask my dad but he is in san diego at the moment, so i guess i will have to bleed the line and fill to spec. Hey, this just dawned on me, it could be a big fat bubble in the line that is floating up to the lever side of the box thingy making it squishy.

I realize this is long and probably really confusing so i'll get off with just one last question, how do you bleed front brakes on a 2001 TTR125L?

-Rob

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
It's almost certainly air in the system somewhere. As for bleeding, do a search and you'll find more than enough info.

KTA

Jul 14, 2000
are those disk brakes? . .they must be if they're hydrolic... . basically there is a little bolt with a hole in the top of it called the bleed valve. the easiest way to bleed is as follows. .. .slightly twist open the bleed valve and press your thumb down on it... pump the brake a few times, then pull the brake lever in and take your thumb off of the valve... oil and air should spit out. . then put your thumb back on and repeat until no air bubbles come out of the valve... then close it and you are done.... . . note: while doing this your resevoir level will lower, make sure there is always oil in the resevoir or you will end up with more oil in your system.. . .
. . .
. . the fast way.. get a syringe type thing... fill it with brake oil, open the valve stick in the syringe and pump new oil back up through the system then close the valve.. . works flawlessly

KTA

Jul 14, 2000
instead of "you will end up with more oil in your system"
i meant "you will end up with more air in your system"

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
My guess would be the master cylinder is low on brake fuid. When you tilt the bike one way or the other you are either opening up the plunger to air or brake fluid. If the only air you have is up on the top of the system you really dont have to do much to bleed it.Fill the master cylinder up to its right hieght with brake fluid and then push the caliper gently against the rotor with your hand. Do this with the handlebar turned so that the master cyinder is at the highest point. Once you pushed the caliper all the way in look at the fluid in the master cylinder and make sure no more bubbles of air are rising up thru. When the bubbles stop rising slowly pump the lever until the caliper is filled with fluid and against the disc again. Tap the brake line a little bit just to help the air bubbles rise to the top and do the whole process again until you see no more bubbles. I woudln't crack the bleeder open at this point because air wants to go up. I feel it would be easier getting it out of the top if my assumption of the situation is correct.

Make sure you use the right type of brake fluid , make sure you get nothing in the master cylinder besides brake fluid. be careful not too make any mess. Besides the fact that brake fluid will ruin paint and plastic it will make it a lot easier to see if you have a leak if you don't accidently spill any.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
the first thing I would do is to push the the caliper piston into the caliper, spreading the brake pads apart. That should force air that is on top of the sytem back into the master cylinder reservoir where it can bleed off. After the bubbles in the reservoir calm down pump the lever sowly until the pads close up again and then tap the brake line to try and force if any bubbles in the brake line back to the top and repeat the process from the start. Making sure that the plunger in the master cylinder is covered with brake fluid. If the air is on top of the brake line this process should get rid of it.

does this sound easier to understand?

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Yes, thanks for clearifying that. Thanks for your help

your more than welcome sorry if my literary skills are lacking. heh takes me a lot longer to try and explain what I mean that it actually does to do what I am talking about.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…