woodsrider823

Aug 8, 2005
There is this private track near my house that we ride. I consider myself a descent rider but nothing amazing. There is a step down that is maybe 35 or 40 feet that must be cleared before a steep maybe 15 foot long landing. The drop to the top of the landing is maybe like 7 feet so it is not hard to clear. The problem is that the take off allows you to wind up in third gear so the problem is i often over shoot. Sometime i will try to slow down before hitting the jump but the non acceleration off the jump face causes for a pretty scary nose dive. Is there any way to scrub speed besides the "bubba scrub" type scrub, or is this scrub not that hard? any input or help on doing this type of scrub would be helpful thanks.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
well you could either try to just do a normal whip. or you could coast down part of the ramp then get on the gas a few feet before the take off. other than that i dont think theres much you can do.

defo26

Apr 23, 2007
One of the tips Mike Alessi said in Transworld motocross mag. If you come to a jump if you are comfortable with it you can hit it going really fast and right when you get towards the top of the takeoff hit the rear break and then when your front tire gets off into the air let of the break. this will slow you down at the last second but you dont want to hold the rear break while in the air because the bike will nose dive so remember to let off at the end.

defo26

Apr 23, 2007
SpeedyManiac said:
Uhhh, you're still gonna nose dive if you hit the brakes right before take off...same goes for chopping the throttle on a jump face.

That statement isnt coming from me its coming from Mike Alessi so Im pretty sure he knows what hes talking about.

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
if your front wheel is in the air, and your back wheel is on the ground, and you are drastically decelerating the rear wheel, it is going to pull the front down, think about it. perhaps you misunderstood what you read, or the guy really hates his fans and wants them to crash off the face of jumps.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Actually, the Alessi tip said to let off of the brake when the front leaves the ground. He didn't say to hit the brakes when the front wheel leaves he ground. I can see this working for an advanced rider, but for a beginner, I would say that you should slow down coming into the face, then apply a little throttle up the face. This may not be the fastest way into the turn, but your lap times will suffer more if you have to pick up you bike and re-start it.

Top Bottom