yamahonky

Jul 2, 2004
I have a jump thats about 3 feet tall, in first or second the nose of either of my bikes dives down. I jumped in 3rd one time but I almost went over the bars when I landed :yikes: how can you position yourself on the bike to bring the front end up without the seat bouncing you up in the air when you take off? Thanks for your help :cool:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Stand up and gas it on the face! Aparently you are "seat-bouncing" without trying to. That's not a good thing, .......yet. Watch some other people jump and listen to thier bikes, that should give you some ideas. Good luck YZ165

P.S. Don't gas it to hard on that 490! It's probaby not the most forgiving bike to jump.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Short jumps like that can kick you *badly*! (I guess I don't need to tell you this :) )

The problem is that your front tire is already in the air when your rear tire hits the jump. That kicks the back up and the front down. Ironically, bigger jumps are much easier and safer.

For little, kicker type jumps like that, I slow down, give it a good bit of throttle all the way through the takeoff and into the air, and hold the bars tight to keep them from getting ripped out of my hands.

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
I'd agree with that. Either the jump is a kicker, in which case you can minimize the effect with body english, or you might have some suspension adjustments to make. My buddy had a KTM 300 that was improperly set up for him, but the only time he noticed it was over jumps with fairly steep faces or in deeper whoops. I believe his was an issue with not enough rebound damping; the back end sprung up more quickly than the front.

Suggested reading: http://www.mx-tech.com/tuning.asp

yamahonky

Jul 2, 2004
Thanks for the advise, my front wheel was in the air when my back hit the jump, I'll try those techniques next time I go riding. :yeehaw:
P.S. The forks on the 490 are alot more forgiving the the old 250's only about 6 in. of travel

yamahonky

Jul 2, 2004
My rebound damping was clicked all the way off :yikes: I clicked it back to the standard position. Haven't got a chance to go riding but I'm sure it will help. :yeehaw: :cool:

BigYZ

Jun 27, 2002
We have a YZ465 in our garage and all I can say is you ae crazy for riding that 490. That is not a bike I would suggest anyone learn to jump on. LOL! Props for having balls though.

Top Bottom