toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
I just got a pair of Seal Savers and I thougt that they were made of rubber. But they are made out of a fabric kind of material. Has anyone here ever used seal savers? And even though they're fabric do they still protect pretty good? It's winter so I probably won't get to test them out but if I do I'll tell how they were.

eibellk

Jan 13, 2003
The problem with them is you need to remove them and clean them and the forks underneath between rides. If you don't, dirt and grime gets packed in there and destroyes the seals faster than if you didn't have them.

Same goes for fork boots...oh, I guess I am showing my age again...

Kurt.

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
they are made of neoprene. Get a can of silicone spray and keep them wet before rides.....they soak it up nicely and keep everything happy.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by eibellk
The problem with them is you need to remove them and clean them and the forks underneath between rides. If you don't, dirt and grime gets packed in there and destroyes the seals faster than if you didn't have them.

Wrong! I never clean under mine.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I used them on a mountain bike. I liked them, but they tended to trap dirt under the seal. When wet, it was nasty.

Having said that, they really are decent. I would just clean under them.

I am sure they different types of riding areas will get different thoughts on the topic.

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
I've used them pretty extensively.
I would personally recommend doing a full length seal saver, and zip tying the top and bottom. The dirt can't/won't get through the neoprene. The only disadvantage to doing it this way, is the buckling of the neoprene tends to cause pre-mature wear on the seal saver.. But I'd still rather have them than not.

Cleaning behind them is a total snap, just blast it with a hose, and your left with nothing but a clean sock on your fork.

Jon!

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
I have used them with mixed results. I ride in one certain location that has a very fine sandy silt. They didn't help at all, seals went just as they always do.
In muddy conditions at most other places they worked well, but you do need to clean under them. It's like any other part of your bike, take care of it.

D

Top Bottom