Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
I am doing my first top end on the 2000 model KDX220.Am I supposed to use aerosol gasket sealer on the Cometic Part# W5856 gaskets? I went to Cometic's web site and some of their gaskets don't require sealer and some do.My search here and there came up nil.Thanks in advace.

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Thanks keet.That's what I thought.Some use silicone grease on them for easy removal later on.I may try that.

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
BRush,all my Cometic Gaskets(head included) are black fiber with metal in the middle.So between you and KeetKDX220 it looks like it's my choice to use a sealer or not.The hylomar looks like good stuff to use if I decide to use a sealer.Anybody else want to chime in?Do you use anything on your Cometic gaskets?

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Correction: my head gasket is black but is a different material(shiny like paint) than the textured other gaskets.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I used cometic. Used no sealers. No leaks. No worries.

Head gaskets can be reused a time or two. Use a sealer if you do that.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by Fuzzy Dice
BRush,all my Cometic Gaskets(head included) are black fiber with metal in the middle.

I've used the Cometic W5856 gasket kit on two different top end rebuilds. The only metallc gasket was the cylinder head gasket. The others were paper/fiber gaskets. As far as sealers go, the big advantage for me was not the sealing, but that it makes the gaskets peel off easily at the next rebuild.

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
BRush,my W5856 Cometic's definitely have a thin layer of metal sandwiched between the hybrid fiber.All of them.You can see the shiny aluminum in them by looking closely from the side.I had a few gaskets that left a bunch of residue so I will be using the Hylomar on the new ones.It was a pain having to soften and scrape that crap off.

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
i use copper-kote and so does eric gorr so it must be good stuff. I have had Cometic gaskets leak before but ever since i have use copper-kote i have had no probs. IT will hurt nothing and doesn't cost that much.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I used Cometic with no sealers or anything with no problems. My gaskets also had a thin layer of metal between two paper like material.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom