Sealing airbox to airboot flange

DougMXer

Oct 17, 2001
I do alot of sand dune riding and am concerned that sand particles are entering the air boot at the airbox/airboot flange junction. I have an 01 YZ250.Thinking of pulling the flange apart and sealing with weather strip adhesive. Do any you fellow dirtriders do this to your bikes. I think they do a poor job of sealing the flange at the factory. Just got to find a weekend to do the surgery when I'd rather go riding SIGH!

Cheers Doug

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
Spanky, Silicone doesnt work to well as a flange sealent because gasoline dissolves it. Weather strip adhesive AKA gorilla snot works much better.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I use GE high temp silicone or Permatex silicone. It resistant to solvents and heat. Plus you can use the same stuff on your exhause components.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Just use thick auto grease, it's easier to remove after the ride!

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
Just use thick auto grease, it's easier to remove after the ride!
We are talking about the area between the rubber boot and the plastic airbox.

I use GE high temp silicone or Permatex silicone. It resistant to solvents and heat. Plus you can use the same stuff on your exhause components.
I have not seen a silicone that was labeled gasoline resistant. In fact most say the oposite. I know permatex ultra copper dissolves pretty easy in gas.

vznx1w

Dec 7, 2000
DougMxer,
bwalker is right--don't use silicone.
Read the back of the card that silicone sealant comes packaged in. The fine print will say "not resistant to gasoline." I learned this the hardway when using Permatex silicone to seal the sending unit cover on my boat's fuel tank. The damn stuff disolved and gunked up my fuel pickup. The auto stores sell a special sealer for use with fuel tanks--which looks alot like weatherstrip cement. It may be the same stuff--or slightly different. But, regardless it worked great and I'd recommend it.
Steve

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I know, you put it on the outside edge, it'll catch all the sand and dirt. A thin application is all that's necessary.

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
I know, you put it on the outside edge, it'll catch all the sand and dirt. A thin application is all that's necessary.
Nope, We are talking about the area in which the plastic box fits in a groove in the rubber boot. Grease would be of little use in this area.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
All of you guys have it wrong,you need to seal where the metal cage and air boot meet,not the air boot and air box.What good is it if you seal the air box and air boot.Dirt enters in the air box area and can be pulled in between the metal flange and where the air boot meets it. NEVER MIND I READ IT WRONG.

Last edited:

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
All of you guys have it wrong,you need to seal where the metal cage and air boot meet,not the air boot and air box.What good is it if you seal the air box and air boot.Dirt enters in the air box area and can be pulled in between the metal flange and where the air boot meets it. NEVER MIND I .
I sealed both areas on my cr. I applied WS adhesive to the groove on the ribber boot that the plastic box fits into. I also applied it to the interface between the metal support ring and the rubber boot/plastic box area.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom