Live2offroad

May 17, 2007
Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6Ft tall, 270Lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I'm pretty physical, but due to a recent hip replacement I'm in no way looking be an aggressive rider. Mellow days on the trail are what I'm looking for.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Trial riding with friends, and some back woods riding possibly

4) Do you have any riding experience?
I've been a street rider for close to 20 years, my dirt experience is limited but I've loved every bit of it..

5) Do you think you will race ?
No

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
I'm pretty good with a wrench, but will be utilizing a local shop for most things..

7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
No brand preference but I'm looking only 4 strokes and e-starts if possible, in the 450cc range. (the E-start is due to the Hip replacement, I'm not sure if it would be an issue but it's better to be safe than sorry..)

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Nope no really local MC shops

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
I'm looking in the 3500 to 4000 range

10) Do you live in California?
Yes I do..

11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Just that any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks..

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
That means how much money ....

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If you are not familiar with the California "Green" vs "RED" sticker issues then you should read up on that. Here is the DMV webpage:
http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=1140

Basically, starting in 2002 California started imposing restrictions on off road vehicles that do not meet the EPA requirements. A green sticker bike is allowed to ride year round, while red sticker bikes are banned during portions of the year, usually most of the summer and sometimes into the fall.

Bikes 2002 and older are grandfathered into a green sticker.

It took the bike manufacturers a couple of years to get their models into compliance, so you will see certain models that were green sticker in 2002, red sticker in 2003 - 2005 and then are green sticker again in 2006 to present.

At many areas the sticker regulations are not enforced and many people get away without having any sticker at all. The Mojave desert is such a place, it simply has too many access points and is too large of an area for the enforemcent to be effective but there is always the chance that you will get stopped and cited.

The OHV parks in the forest areas are often very tightly regulated. At a state park near where I live, Hollister Hills, you enter through the ranger kiosk and the bikes are 100% inspected. You won't ride at Hollister Hills without a sticker appropriate for the season.

That said:
The bike that comes to mind for you is a Yamaha WR450F. I know the 2006 and later models are green sticker, I have heard conflicting reports about the 2005 model, and the 2003 is red sticker.

Rod

Live2offroad

May 17, 2007
SO, after reading up and looking around I'm beginning to really like the DRZ400E..

As I'm 270lbs will the 400 move me around well enough? (Oh, I know it will in the beginning, but what about later as my skills and abilities improve?)

-Peter

Top Bottom