Seat Bouncing, and why I cant get it to work

Racerdude

May 24, 2000
Why? I practiced it for about 30 minutes on a small table top at my house. I was going slow like 2nd gear, and i was sitting in a neutral position on the bike, and i would hold the throttle about 1/4 all the way up the face, and on the lip, I would blip the throttle. There was still no extra lift. was I going too slow for it to work? I know its a slow speed technique, and I dont want to go too fast for fear of flying over the bars. But what gives? Do i need to sit further back, or is it with the throttle? Thanks again you guys, You all have helped me out tremendously lately

------------------
Air is great, but they put knobbies on these tires for a reason!!

Tyler #28
When in doubt, WFO

'01 KX125

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
On a jump where you are at any kind of good speed(2nd and up), seat bouncing does not have a profound effect on the height of the jump compared to the standing position, unless you regularly absorb the lift while jumping standing. It will get you a little higher, but not much higher. To really get a "kick", find a small kicker(walking speed). SLOWLY approach it, lean back a little sitting down, keep the throttle steady, once at the top, pull the clutch in a little, hit the gas, and drop the clutch. This will extend the suspension and lift the bike a great amount. It will go brrrrrrrrrrapp(sharp rap at the end). If you time it right and lean the right amount, you will fly right, but be prepared to nose the jump your first couple of tries.

------------------
Aaron's web site

zsr

Mar 17, 2001
Maybe I've missed something but why are you sitting whilst jumping? your legs are an essential part of the suspension formula, it sounds like you are going to fly over the bars sooner rather than later.

If you are just trying to preload the suspension to gain extra height / distance this should be done whilst standing, pushing down through the footpegs. From what you say though, I'd learn to become comfortable on a particular jump first before trying such techniques.

Sorry if I've misunderstood :)

------------------
98 CR125 01 CR250 99YZF R1

Thanks to: Motorex / D.I.D. / Vesrah / YES Helmets

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I have a tough time with doing a seat bounce too. The timing is critical. The trick is to compress the suspension on the face of the jump and at the moment you get to the end of the take off ramp you release the suspension (by standing up) and as it rebounds it lofts the bike into the air. That’s where the timing comes in. When to begin the pre-load so you can unload it at the right time. You also have to be on the gas fairly hard so the rear end doesn’t kick up too high.

Most people sit because it is easier to pre-load the rear shock. It’s harder to do when you are standing.

This is an advanced technique that takes lots of practice. Done correctly you can increase the distance you jump at a slower speed. It is easier to do at higher speeds because the suspension compresses more at the face of the jump, but it will work at slower speeds. Off road riders use this technique to clear obstacles when all they have is a rock or small ramp to use as a jump.

Practice, practice, practice…Have fun

------------------
Did I do the double?
Ah,um...Sure did. I was right behind you!
My Pictures

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by RM_guy:
Off road riders use this technique to clear obstacles when all they have is a rock or small ramp to use as a jump.

True! Also after three or four hours of riding my legs get very tired. When approaching a whoop section I'll seat bounce the first one to get into a standing position.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I've seat-bounced jumps as fast as high 3rd gear. Always, always, always on the gas. It tends to throw me up and forward, so I have to use full throttle to counteract that. Besides, the only time I seat jump is when I need the extra lift.

The major point is that if you are sitting, when you hit the base of the jump, the suspension compresses more than it would if you were standing. When standing, your legs will automatically absorb some of the compression at the base of the jump. Once compressed, the suspension rebounds on takeoff and throws you higher than the jump normally would.

Don't sit too far back or it will throw you over the bars. Also, don't sit completely. I squat down until my butt hits the seat, but I still am supporting most of my weight with my feet.

Seat-jumping easy will probably not get as much of the rebound effect because you are not compressing the bike into the face of the jump. Try it on a fairly steep jump right out of a corner that you have a difficult time clearing while jumping normally.

------------------

Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Sep 28, 2000
On my yz400 I seem to get the best results by accelerating up the face the jump when trying to seat bounce it. The acceleration seems to slam the bike into the face of the jump harder so I get more rebound.

I have only tried this on smaller table top jumps right out of a corner when I need a little extra to clear it. I also stand up as the bike is leaving the lip of the jump. This helps to keep you from going over the bars.

------------------
Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see.

[This message has been edited by Hokie (edited 04-13-2001).]

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
Whatever you do be carefull my kid ended up with a concusion after flying over the bars doing a seat bounce.

------------------

Racerdude

May 24, 2000
Thanks everybody. Im going to try it after work tomarrow, and Ill let you know how everything sorts out.

And woods rider....I hope that gas passes soon! :confused:

------------------

Tyler #28
When in doubt, WFO

'01 KX125

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
Like RM_guy said, timing is critical...when approaching a jump that needs to be seat bounced i sit in a neutral position on the bike, slightly to the back of the bike. most jump faces begin with a gradual incline that leads to a steeper lip. right when i get to the transition point from gradual to steep i lean back hard and fast to fully load the suspension, and then as you leave the lip you need to lean forward, or stand up and lean forward to get the front end down

------------------
YZ125, Team YOLO Racing, 2001 Sponsors: Powerhouse of Paso Robles, Bell Helmets, N-Style Graphics, Boyesen, Twin Air, Excel Rims, RK Chain, Vortex Billet Racing Products, Bendix Brake Pads

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by RM_guy:
Hey WoodsRider. I see you have Gas Gas. I hope it passes so you feel better. :p

RM_guy - If you'd get out of the way I WILL PASS YOU!

BTW - Better start practicing those log crossing techniques for the next time we ride at Dave & Lori's. :p

Racerdude

May 24, 2000
Hey guys, I got it to work. I never completly sat down, but i got real low to the bike and pressed down on the face of the jump. It worked so well and I had to use another techique that i taught my self, hitting the rear brake in the air! Thank you everyone for the help!!

------------------

Tyler #28
When in doubt, WFO

'01 KX125

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
you know you are doing it alright when you hit your brake in the air, that is how it is supposed to be. but, don't blip the throttle too much, or fan the clutch too much because you gotta be controlled. also, this is a technique that is only supposed to be used when you don't have the momentum to carry you across, or over an obstacle, so if you are using the rear brake, you will have better luck, because you can actually get higher if your nose is high, and you brake.

------------------
Brandon YZ 250

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
The rear brake should be a last ditch option to lower the front end. Try "floating" you feet a little bit up and back untill the top of your boot hooks the top of the side panel. I used to hit the brake too, but it caused alot of lost drive. Try this technique, it is ALOT smoother when done right. Also, if the front end is high, you need to lean over the bars more. You should be getting launched level while seat bouncing.

------------------
Aaron's web site

Top Bottom