Seat Cover

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Hey all;

My son just bought all new FMF graphics and seat cover for his 200. We will be installing this weekend and I have a question about the seat cover install. The stocker is held on with staples, This is simple enough to duplicate with the new one , but does anyone have a better installation method? As always I apprecicate the replies. :)
Lew

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
stapling is how you install the seats. Take your time, follow the directions. It helps to have 2 people -- one to hold, the other to staple. Just be sure to stretch the cover out like crazy on the seat.

T50 is the staple size you will need.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
If you set the seat cover out in the sun for a while to warm up it will be a stretch.

Staples are definitely the way to go.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
You will have better luck with a "heavy duty" staple gun, pneumatic is ideal.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
For an alternative you can just use upholstery glue (spray-on). I've done two seats that way and it works fine. Spray it on the seat and on the material, then press the material in place, then hold it in place until it dries. Do this section at a time.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by Lew
Hey all;
... does anyone have a better installation method? As always I appreciate the replies. :)
Lew

The plastic seat base is resistant to all but the most powerful staplers. Unless you have acess to a pneumatic stapler, I've found that the $25 or so that an upholstery shop charges is money well spent.

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Lew... I plan on putting seat cover and graphics on my KDX this week and will take photos along the way and turn it into a "how-to" tech article .. Stay tuned.

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
For those who don't want a graphics seat cover, try this. After a fall (which I'm sure nobody else ever does), I purchased "stretch" black material from an upholstery shop for about $8. Enough for 2 seats (in case I fall again). The streatch material is much easier to work with and didn't require heating. I used a standard stapler and tapped down tight with a hammer, although pneumatic would be much quicker.

Good luck.....

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Well we put the graphics and seat cover on and the son's bike looks real sharp. I let the seat cover set in the sun for a bit and then we went to work on it. Took our time and stretched it just right. I used my t-50 stapler with 1/4" staples and the sent in snug with a nail set. As for the graphics I sprayed down the shrouds with windex and squeeged the graphics sticker right into place with no bubbles.

simon1 - I will post a pic after I get my digital camera..
Thanks for the replies
Lew

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…