Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Just bought a 6x12 enclosed trailer. Ordered ATK bike shoes but I still need a few tie down points. Just how do you mount d rings to these trailers? I'm thinking of getting the floor recessed and the flush wall mount type. Do you just mount using self tapping screws? To the frame of course. How hard are recessed type to mount to floor? Do you just cut a 3" hole? And mount two of the holes to frame with backing plate? You can see I'm a newbie in trailer world. Any hints and tips appreciated.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
You are on the right track. I cut the smallest hole in the plywood that would allow the d-ring to mount flush with the floor and used stainless steel bolts washers and nuts to mount to the frame. On my trailer, the area along the wheel wells had solid metal under the trailer, so all four bolts went through steel. I did as you are thinking on the remaining tie-downs and mounted two of the four holes into the steel frame. Good luck.

Todd Turner

Dec 24, 2000
Mail order sources for D-rings?

I have bought D-rings that are inset into the wall from a local "big truck" supplier. Big truck equals big price, I found. Does anybody have any ideas where I can order these smaller D-rings for tie downs? I just bought a 7 x 16 Pace enclosed trailer and on our first trip something rolled back into the rear door and tweaked the hinge :mad:

As a side note, while we were still loaded with all the gear in the trailer I ran through the truck stop scales. I checked the total weights of the truck and the trailer, plus the weights on each axle. Then, I checked the weight of the tow vehicle empty in order to determine the tongue weight. Sure enough, we were running with a tongue weight of 15% of the trailer weight. That's a little more than I like but less than that and it exhibited too much sway when the big trucks blasted past.

When packing a lot of gear, placement is critical. This is even more true on a single-axle trailer. Too far off the center of gravity (CG for folks who poke holes in the sky) and it gets really squirrelly. More like downright "seat sucking" unsafe to steal a quote from Tom "Wolfman" Webb.

Does anybody have a quick means to install ATK bike shoes so that they can be removed fairly easily when you need to use the trailer for other purposes?

Thanks in advance.

Todd

CR307

Apr 12, 2001
No problem Todd. They are about 2 or 3 miles away from where I work so always glad to help someone out plus help a local company!

TOFAS4YOU

Jan 4, 2002
I HAVE ATK BIKE SHOES IN MY TRAILER I SUPORTED THE UNDER SIDE WITH METAL THEN RAN IN BOLTS BUT ON THE INSIDE I USED EYEBOLTS TO TIE DOWN ON THE INSIDE HOLE OF THE SHOE IN THE REAR YOU NEED TWO D RINGS TO HOLD THE TIRE TO THE FLOOR I NEVER LOST A BIKE YET THE BIKE SHOE IS THE WAY TO GO !

Top Bottom