headbanger

May 7, 2000
I just picked up a new H&H 6x12 enclosed trailer with ramp door. It has a treated floor. My question: has anyone used the do it yourself bed liner stuff in there trailer?
Wheel chocks/bike shoe or "E" track for holding the bikes?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Yep... took two $100 Hurculiner kits (from Pep Boys) to do the shop in our trailer. The shop is 8'x12' and we also did the ramp door and a few inches up the wall. Two coats everywhere. It's been a year and a half since we've done it and it's held up well. It's really nice because the liner repells water, gas, etc. so we can just hose out the shop area. Also, the liner makes for great grip on the ramp door when wet. There are only a few small spots where the floor peeled off and this was because we had muddy bike tires, the mud froze to the floor, and Red pulled the bikes out and the frozen mud ripped off some of the liner. Other than that - still going strong. Much better alternative to the 12"x12" sticky tiles that we did the first time around.

We use bike shoes... nice not to have to mess with tie downs.

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
We just put down a sheet vinyl checkboard floor in our trailer. Sure looks cool, but after loading the bikes and gear during a snowstorm two weeks ago, I probably couldn't have picked a more slippery material to use! Darn near took myself out of the race before I even got there!!

I'm re-thinking the floor thing now. Was looking at Rhino Liner for the ramp door, but will check out the Hurculiner kit first.

We're using ATK Bike Shoes too - the ONLY way to go.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I looked at the vinyl floor but decided that would add weight rather quickly. Any company that does a spray in bedliner could spray the floor, call some of the ones in your area, and see if anyone has a deal. Also, the $100 herculiner can be found on sale, and I even have found it on ebay for as little as $40. I have debated over ripping the wood floor our of mine and putting in diamond plate alum were the wood was. but my trailer being steel, it would cause fast corrosion.
In my town ( kansas city ) i know the prices for someone to spray a bed liner in, vary depending on what mood the people are in and who you talk to.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
You can get .063 thick diamond plate in 4'x8' sheets to install over your wood floor. Call aluminum wholesalers in your area. Some will even cut it to size for a small fee. Cheapest I've found is about $88 per sheet. For a 6x12, works out to $3.66 per square foot.

I also checked into having it sprayed with Line-X, supposedly one of the best spray-on liner materials. Cost is $6 per square foot.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you go with a liner type material pay to have it done! I used the Herculiner stuff in my tool box on my truck and it's junk. I peeled it out in about 20 minutes after a large area became loose. I prepped the heck out of it too. I'll be getting Line-X to spray it as well as the bed of my truck when I scratch it up engough to justify it :)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
The Line-X dealer/installer told me they apply it at 150°, and it cures within minutes.

He has also done quite a few snowmobile trailers, and mentioned that as long as you don't spin the track, the material holds up well - even with carbide runners.

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
I used some on a trailer ramp/door and it worked great. Also I used the zolatone (i think thats the stuff) epoxy paint that has texture in it, for another door and a small boat interior. Oh yea, and a baja bug interior. That stuff is comparably cheaper, comes in tons of colors, and works really good on wood surfaces.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
i have used epoxy paint for my iguanna cage, got me higher than a kite, but it held up to the moisture and her nails.
I worked for a no name shop that had thier own spray in liner, it was and A & B compound that was mixed at the nozzle. Our spray booth was not heated but the compound when mixed generated a lot of heat while it was curing. That stuff would stick to anything.
We did have some people bring stuff back under waranty, but mostly the edge of the tailgate and it was always totally beat up......

I know from my personal inside experience, the spray in bed liners all come out diffrently due to the materials used, some came out softer than others, some came out hard, I have seen line-x, rino and some of the others and they all come out slighttly diffrent every time, depending on the hunidity, and just the way the nozzle works that day.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by slickpuss
zolatone paint

Zolatone paint is the stuff Detroit used in car trunks throughout the 50's. It is almost bulletproof and about any idiot (as evidenced by me) can spray it. There are many standard color groups available. I am going to use it on the walls of my trailer when I get it. I have use it on many items around my house. Use a pot sprayer and adjust the air pressure to control the size of the blobs of color.

Regarding the floor, I like the idea of aluminum diamond plate. As much as I like Rhino Lining, I don't think I would want to spray it over wood. About 5 years ago they tried to sell me thc concept for a roof, but they could not document the adhesion between wood and the lining. Additionally, there is no way for the moisture to get out except away from the lining, back through the substrate. Any weak point will turn into a blister.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
...late to the party, as usual :(

I used the "do it yourself" bed liner (rollon type) in my trailer and it is doing excellent so far. Gone through one winter and what we have had for spring so far.

I also used the E-track in mine. It's great if you need the ability to change things around from time to time. I can put one, two or three bikes easily in my 6x10 in multiple configurations...and still carry a refrigerator if need be ;) Do a search back a few days, and see where I posted a picture of my setup and others.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Check out MX727's DRN page.  He did his trailer with diamond plate.  Definitely a pro looking setup.  Paint the wood with a good oil based primer.  The adhesion for all other top coats will be better.  I recommend Benjamin Moore exterior primer, pricey but it is the best stuff on the market.  Just follow the application directions and you will have a long lasting surface.

Last edited:

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
headbanger,
How is the H&H trailer holding up. I'm giving serious thought to picking one up very soon and would like your report.
Is your 6x12 a single axle? how does it track?
Did you get the "Electric brake axle" option?
Other than the ramp, what options did you get?
Thanks in advance,
Dave

headbanger

May 7, 2000
The H&H tows great! So far it has been very good. The only problem I have found is one roof seam needs to be sealed with caulk. I painted the walls and floor. Installed "E" track along the walls.
I would get the brakes! I will be installing them soon (mine is a single axel)
also a RV style door would be nice for camping in too. I will be installing a window for more venting.
Overall a very well built trailer.
Good luck on your purchase!

Top Bottom