Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
I was offered a 1989( think) Yz80 motor for my go-kart for $40. But it is seized up. He said it was running when he put it away but it sat there for like 2 years and now it wont kick over.

What can i do to try to get it running? Everything is there to make it run. but what should i clean? I was thinking of getting some wd-40 and spraying the crap out of the cylinder to get the piston to free up. And clean the piston and cylinder up.

Then clean the carburetor. Changing the spark plug and putting new fuel in er.

What else should i check for? there isn't really rust its been in a garage.

Thanks!

Backslayer

Go Big or Go Home
~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2007
i wouldn't use wd for that , use some marvel mystery oil. let it sit for a day and then try kicking it. that should free it up if the rings stuck but I would see if you can get it unstuck and probably put a new piston and ring in it at least.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
you might be looking at crank bearings and the rod bearing can be siezed. try the wd/marvel and see what happens. typically though you'll find all 3 are rusted if it was left outside. full rebuild needed but not really that expensive.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
I never thought about the bearings. But it has been inside and dry. I don't really want to do a rebuild because i have my own bike to rebuild now. And i am short on money. But I'm going to ask him if i can try to get it running before i buy it. (he is my dads neighbor and they are cool friends. so he should let me) And why would you use oil instead of wd-40? What hat about break cleaner?

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
i've used wd on several occasions with no problem. marvel mystery oil is said to work better. I've never tried it because I have already had wd and not had marvel...

>It has drawn moisture or it wouldn't be stuck! This in it's self means at least a top
>end job IMHO.

My thoughts also... thats why i'd suspect bearings also.

Top Bottom