seized spokes

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
i recently bought a KDX 200 off my brother, when i checked the back wheel i could move it 2 inches side to side(not too safe) ,so i took the wheel off, but the spokes are seized...really good to. i tried every single lubricant there is and anti-sieze, still nothing. i brought it into a shop and they cant do anything with it... does anyone have any suggestions on getting these spokes off so i can at least get new ones, ide hate to have to buy a new rim just because of the spokes.
thanks

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I had the same problem with my '99 KDX200.  I thought that i needed new bearings and upon further inspection realized that my spokes were so loose that the whole rear wheel could move side to side - just tighten the spokes and true the wheel - right ... Wrong, half of the spokes were seized.

What i did was proceed to order a new set of spokes from Buchanan's (rear wheel).  While i was waiting for the new spokes to arrive i figured i'd get started removing the old spokes.  At first i thouhght that i'd maybe just cut them off - but then after a little experimenting with the propane torch, a good spoke wrench and some vice grips - i was able to get all of the spokes loosened, removed, cleaned and regreased so that they moved in and out of thier nipples easily.  In short - i successfully freed up all of my spokes and trued the rear wheel with the spokes that were on the bike.  It just takes a little patience.

btw - if you are interested in buying the Buchanan spokes (fits all newer KDX's)  from me drop me a PM.  Much cheaper than you will find from your Kawasaki dealer.

kx250r

Jan 23, 2003
hey i had that problem with an old yamaha so i cut them off one by one with some wire cutters and replaced them it want too bad if you goto kawasaki itll be about $50 for the spoke set.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
$50 for the spoke set? :laugh:

That's what i thought - then i went to buy them.

The price i got from Cycle-Parts.com was $1.97 (nipple) + $3.45 ( 189mm x 16 OD spoke) = $5.42 each.  Total = $195.12 for a KDX rear wheel set.  Cycle-Parts.com is usually way cheaper than the local Kawasaki shop.

I think i paid around $70 total from Buchanan's (oversized nipples & spokes).

Attachments

• kdx spoke $$b.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 392

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
ok thanks for the help ill try that. otherwise im looking at about 300$ canadian for a rear wheel set (canadian) im guessing?

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I did see a better price at http://www.ronayers.com

Don't forget - i do have that extra set of rear wheel kdx spokes sitting in the garage.

Attachments

• kdx spoke $$$ ra.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 375

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
is there a difference in the spoke size that u have from my '91 KDX?

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
i'm not sure - hopefully someone else will know.  Is the 91 have an 18" rear wheel?  I could not find the spoke part numbers for your bike on buykawasaki.com for some reason.

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
im not sure if its 18', ill check next time i drop by our shop

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…