XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
From RacerX online
. . . It appears that Suzuki is seriously considering parting ways with Travis Pastrana, the 2000 AMA 125cc National Motocross and 2001 AMA/EA Sports 125cc East Region SX Champion, over differences in Travis' desire to continue to participate in freestyle motocross events. According to several sources, Suzuki may be giving Pastrana, 18, an ultimatum: Choose racing with Suzuki or choose racing/jumping with someone else. Pastrana, who has suffered through a disastrous year of injuries and illnesses, has been getting ready for the upcoming X Games and Gravity Games by practicing his jumping routine at his house in Annapolis, Maryland, while nursing a broken wrist, which will keep him out of racing until at least the Millville, Minnesota round of the AMA/Chevy Trucks U.S. Nationals in mid-August.

It also appears that Suzuki has signed Sebastien Tortelli to a multi-year contract to lead its 250cc team, which has been practically non-existent due to Pastrana's absence and the continued absence of Kevin Windham, who broke his femur at the Atlanta SX in February. Windham has yet to make his future plans clear to the powers-that-be at Suzuki. Only replacement rider Sean Hamblin has been following the national circuit in the 250 class for Team Suzuki.

As a result of the Pastrana and Windham situations, it also appears that Suzuki has stepped up talks with Jeremy McGrath's people in regard to the possibility of signing the seven-time champion's satellite Bud Light team to ride yellow next year.
Like we couldn't see this coming a mile away. I'm pretty sure "The Man" hasn't been the biggest fan of Pastrana's freestyle career. Maybe he finally convinced his Suzuki bosses that ol' TP doesn't have his priorities straight, especially after they allegedly had to pay back a bunch o'money to SOBE for not having any 250 SXers for most of the season.

Strange days indeed! Travis Pastrana the next (and youngest) rider/team owner?

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
I was thinking this would happen. In magazines I always see him doing something besides racing (Suburu rally car driver, and now the backflip). It seems as though he doesn't have any desire to really try at racing anymore. He's injured, but instead of training to come back he's practicing for the X Games. I'm sure whatever he does he won't have a problem paying the bills though. ;)

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
It's amazing to think how good Travis could be if he would take just ONE year and dedicate it exclusively to racing. I'm sure the other stuff is fun and he loves it, but racing against RC is something that needs 100% of his attention if he plans on being competitive.

Stretch374

Apr 22, 2001
From a motocross bike manufactures point of view it makes total since not to support FMX first for the most part it is just plain stupid. (oh wait that is my opinion) but then I think any sport with judges is stupid.

Seriously

Top 5 reasons why mfg don't support FMX:

1.) The bike makes very little difference in how a FMX rider performs. (No advantage to R&D department)

2.) Very few people buy a bike with the intent to do FMX on it.

3.) Kids think it's cool but they don't buy bikes, parents think it’s dangerous and they buy bikes.

4.) It makes it look like that is what the bike in intended to be used for which opens up liability. (see $24 Million dollar law suite.)
5.) It gets riders hurt.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i would bet that TP has had a better effect on bike sales for suzuki than RC has for honda. (when i say this i mean relatively and not total sales.)

it is definately make or break time for TP, i wonder if in three years we will see him scrapping for 5th place in a arenacross trying to ressurect his racing career?

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by bclapham
i would bet that TP has had a better effect on bike sales for suzuki than RC has for honda.

probably so. i talked to a kawie rep last year and he said it was surprising how little affect rc's championships had on kawie sales.

Stretch374

Apr 22, 2001
I would agree that TP has helped bike sales allot at Suzuki but because he won the MX and SX titles and proved you could win on a Suzuki, not because of Gravity and X-game gold.

Motorcross Action reported that he will be back at Millivill Aug 18. If Suzuki feels he's not focused to be back at full strength for this event then they should consider dropping him.

BigR

Dec 27, 2000
So when Honda didn't want MC to do wakeborading and dune jumping and such...they were the big bad evil company. Now that Suzuki is taking the same stance....same view? Or are we now saying it is the right thing to do? Hmmm.....

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
BigR, I don't think McGrath was doing those things during the season while he was supposed to be sitting out recovering from injury. If all of Pastrana's freestyling was done during the off-season, I'd have no problem with it, just like McGrath doing all his goofing off during the off-season. I was soured on Pastrana's commitment last year when he was sitting out the 125 nationals but still competing in the X-Games.

It's his job. I don't get to go work for someone else when I'm supposed to be home sick. I also probably shouldn't be out screwing around on national television where my employers can see that maybe I'm not in too bad of shape after all.

I like Travis, I just wish he'd commit.

lobotomy

May 8, 2001
BigR makes a good point.

It's too bad that TP can't stay healthy enough to compete in both. I think he is a good rep for FMX and all the pee wees that follow it. Seems like he is the execption to the rule in freestyle.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I personally think that if they part company it will not be a bad thing. TP sells bikes. Plain and simple. If Suzuki is more interested in racing than anything else then they have the right to ask TP only to race.

However, if TP wants to do FMX as well, no big deal.

If it means they have to part ways then that is what has to happen.

I want both sides to be successful and if they can't find common ground I'm sure they'll do what they think is right.

I'm all for TP starting his own team and doing whatever he wants.

Ivan

patpipes

Uhhh...
May 5, 2002
After chasing RC around and crashing his brains out TP is finding a new line of work, then he looks at Bubba coming up and its curtains. His forte seems to be freestyle so he can be the man there!

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
FMX...I just don't get it. How many times can you pull a reverse camelbak nac nac with a twist and have it be exciting? At least when 40 guys line up on the gate, you don't know what's going to happen. I'd love someone to pay me to race. But, that's me, not TP.

Ok...when 39 guys and RC line up at the gate you have a pretty good idea of what's about to happen. :)

Starwest #9

Nov 7, 2001
I hope they all figure things out soon. I like Travis and he can be good for the sport but he needs to be committed to it for sucess both he and the manufactuer he rides for are looking for in motorcross.

Maybe it is time that he starts his own team.Then he will understand what dedication means to sponsors. Suzuki would be smart to supply bikes though. Hopefully we will get some more information later this week.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Bombshell Defused: Travis staying with Suzuki
again, from RacerX
We can take the "Save Travis" banner off the water tower now. A Tuesday afternoon meeting between superstar Suzuki rider Travis Pastrana and the Suzuki brass took an unexpected turn. Instead of releasing the rider from his contract as many expected, Suzuki decided not to part ways with Pastrana and instead discussed a long-term future with the racer/freestyler that would allow him to continue to both race and jump. The relationship between Travis and the team has been tested lately as he recovers from a wrist injury and illness. The company was not very happy to see him practicing new jumps for the upcoming X Games and Gravity Games with his broken wrist. Pastrana is not expected to return to the AMA/Chevy Trucks U.S. National MX Series until at least the Millville, Minnesota, round in mid-August.

With Pastrana staying and Sebastien Tortelli apparently joining the team, it will be interesting to see if Suzuki continues to pursue seven-time supercross champion Jeremy McGrath, who has yet to sign with a manufacturer for the 2003 season.
I guess cooler heads prevailed. Now, what about Windham?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
News just in! I read an announcement from the Competition park track owner and MXDN promotor on a local forum, that travis (and friends) will be doing a freestyle show at this years MXDN.

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Travis Pastrana speaks out

We just got this note from Travis:

Well, in the past few days I have been called by every outside sponsor, magazine, bike company, friends and family members! I would have written in to clear up the rumors sooner but since everyone seemed to know something that I didn't I needed to make sure I just wasn't out of the loop. The truth... everything is still going well between Suzuki and myself. I have had a very disappointing year but you have to remember that Suzuki has stuck with me throughout my many injuries in the past. As a matter of fact, Suzuki signed me on to the pro team when I was in a wheel chair with a broken back. Roger is a stellar team manager, a great asset to myself and he is surprisingly understanding of what I have been through this year. You have to remember that everything that has been wrong with me this year and most other years for that matter was directly related to racing and not freestyle.

It was neat to see that, even with a bad year, people haven't lost faith in my ability to win races; but I am very happy where I am and hope to be their for a long time. Ride on Suzuki!

from racer-x

Top Bottom