oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
well thekid learned a lesson this weekend. He was running 2nd in a very close 125Jr race when in an area where a rider was down the top 3 and 4 others didn't slow as much as we expected them to. I have to admit I feel thekid got off light but the penalty was he had to start moto2 backwards. It was a good lesson as I know thekid is generally very conscious and obediant to the flaggers but he and the other 2 were to caught up in a great race. Lesson must have sunk in because in moto 2 when the flag went out he locked up his brakes so hard he cased the jump. In the end a lesson was learned and he still managed a 3rd in the 2nd moto for a second place overall

Attachments

• backlist.jpg
    backlist.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 77
  • backwards.jpg
    backwards.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 82

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
That's a pretty damn good placing for a backwards start :)

He looked like he was very determined in that second moto. Good job Eric. :cool:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
:yeehaw: :aj: :cool:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I always love the backwards start penalty. Pretty much the only time they use it around here is for when you get caught pit riding. Up here that would have cost him 5 places in the 1st moto. Great finish for a backwards start Eric ;)

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Doug as I said he got off pretty light but I know he took it in and didn't blow it off. He and I agreed whatever the decision he would take the consequences and not file any protest as he was in the wrong to whatever degree the ref decided.
Funny thing is I caught myself doing what I preach against and had to apologize to him later. I caught myself reamming him out in the pits for doing it and when I sat back realized I was reacting to my dissapointment at watching him throw away what truely was one of his best rides of the season. he had hung on the back tire and even passed the leader several times in the moto- a kid he has never run that close with ever. Once I thought it over it was clear he didn't intentionally do it and my approach wasn't right. He was mad enough at himself for doing it already.
I was really proud of him when 2nd moto he shook it off and went out to prove to himself and everyone there that the first moto was not a fluke or result of the infraction.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
oldguy said:
Funny thing is I caught myself doing what I preach against and had to apologize to him later.

Sounds like you both came out a winner that day. It is hard to be a parent sometimes and not lose it.

Eric is a fine young man and a credit to you and Trudy.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
oldguy said:
Once I thought it over it was clear he didn't intentionally do it and my approach wasn't right. He was mad enough at himself for doing it already.

I know Eric would never intentionally do something like that he's too good a kid. The kids sometimes get so caught up in the dicing around them that it's hard catch themselves. One of Troy's racing buddies got docked 5 spots this year for a similar transgression, very similar circumstances as Eric's. The worst part up here anyway is that the local pro's are given a different standard and enforced at a different level. If it's pro's and a guy is down but just off the edge of the track the ref's seem to turn a blind eye to the guys still doubling or tripling as long as they are on the opposite edge of the track. This in my opinion causes some of our problems locally because the junior riders and others see this and copy the tactic worried if they don't they are going to lose a spot.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom