Sheered Front Axle Bolt---Help

I'mClueless

Apr 23, 2003
Hey Guys....I've been a "lurker" for a while but now I need some help. I have a 96 KX250 and while replacing the front wheel I managed to sheer off one of the 4 bolts on the left fork that holds the wheel axle to the fork. So now what?? Will three bolts be sufficient and if not, do I have to replace the entire fork? Thanks for your help.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Are you referring to one of the pinch bolts? If so I'd want to get that repaired before I considered riding. If I'm understanding correctly and it's a pinch bolt that you've sheered the head off some patience with a drill and an ez-out should do the trick.

I'mClueless

Apr 23, 2003
I thought of an EZ-out but I don't think that will work as the bolt actually comes out of the fork. There is a plate that covers the axle, pinching it to the fork, but with my model, the pinch plate is then held by some 8mm nuts. Thoughts? Does that make sense? I went to buykawasaki website but the diagrams show the bolts attached to the fork.

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
It is a stud that is threaded int the fork leg. It will have been installed with loctite. Your best bet is to have a shop/someone who has experience drill it and e-z out it. Take the whole fork leg off and take it someowhere you trust and ask if they will do it as a 'bench job'.
It may need to be drilled all the way out and then be tapped and heli-coiled.

Speedfreek

Nov 3, 2003
A quick easy way is to take the fork to someone with a mig welder.Have them weld through the center of a nut to the broken stud.The result will be similar to a bolt and the heat from the weld will help loosen it from the fork using the welded on nut.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…