shifting during fast left handers?!

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Okay, I survived my very first MX race (not bad for a 37 year old dude), and I have some questions.

When we go out and ride, I have no problems shifting while cornering, apparanently I don't push hard enough to notice. BUT, during the race, we have a good sweeping left hander that I need to shift while I'm in the middle of it. Here's the deal, I've already got my left foot out, I shifted to second just before I set up for the corner. I'm half way through the corner, and now I really need to stab 3rd, but my left foot is dragging in the dirt trying to get me through the nasty corner, I'm not stable enough, or maybe not confident enough to pick it up and stab 3rd and drop it back down when I'm already sliding sideways and over-revving 2nd.

Should I just over-rev in second and ride it out? Should I just automatically drop into third before I get to the corner and smoke on the clutch to keep the "R's" up, or should I lift my foot and shift using the powers of "the Force"?

What's the way to handle these kinds of things? Hard right handers are easy, the shift foot is still on the peg:)

Bob

BullDog KX125

Mar 9, 2001
this advice if from a novice...

JUST DO IT!
thats what i did
there is this one long sweeping turn at my local pit, and i go into it in 3rd, need to shift into 4th, then shift back into 3rd to make the sharp turn at the end of the long sweeping turn

my back end fishtails a little(the turn has a bit of surface sand) and i wanted to pass my dad one time.

so i just did it, i poped my foot up for a second to shift, and put it back down again, and i made the pass on the old man! :P

again, thats just my advice, i havent even been riding for 6 months.
hope it works

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
When you say that you have to shift into the next gear, is it because you are already at full throttle? If not then just give it more gas. Each turn is different so you’ll have to try different techniques.

If it’s a sweeper turn you should be able to keep your feet on the pegs (where they should be anyway) . Force yourself to keep them on the pegs and do the turn over and over again until it feels natural.

If you have to make the turn with your foot down, try entering the turn in the higher gear and slip the clutch to get through the slower section , like you suggested.

I have more of a problem with right hand turns because I want to use the rear brake but my foot is out for the turn. Bulldog is right too, just do it. If you don’t try something different, you’ll never be able to master it.

Good luck and practice, practice, practice.:)

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Go and watch the expert race and see what they do. When you see a guy doing the turn well, get his number and talk to him when he gets off the track. I've done it before and most riders are helpful.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Try entering the corner a gear high, so you should enter in third gear. This is used by all the pros, because there is no way you can shift in the middle of a turn. Next time, shift to third before the turn, then accelerate all the way out, slipping the clutch if necessary.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Like RM_Guy says, you should probably have both feet on the pegs standing(or nearly standing). It would help to lean the bike a little and weight the outside peg. If you have to shift, then it's a natural thing for your weight to go to the rightside peg when you shift. Being a spode, I would probably be in the higher gear at the start of the turn and fan the clutch if need be.

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
Shifting in corners isn't good. Do all your shifting before and after you have done the corner. You can shift when you are coming out but not when your in it.

Titanium

May 22, 2000
If you plan on racing just this track for a while, you may want to just look into rear sprockets. If you are happy being in second gear, get a smaller one, it should leave you with a bit more useable power to get out of the corner (or at least able to start standing the bike up, to shift easily). If you want to enter the corner in a useable part of third gear, get a bigger rear sprocket by a few teeth. You will have to see what this does for other corners, but it should cure your problem with having to ever shift in that one again. Generally said, changing the front sprocket up or down a tooth, is equal to changing the rear 3 teeth.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom