CApilot

Nov 6, 2004
I have an 04 YZ250, lately I have been having problems shifting past 3rd gear when the bike is under power, It will not shift if I power shift it, or if I let off on the gas and put the clutch in. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this and where I should start. Would appreciate any ideas.

Spine_Thrust

Oct 3, 2003
I don't know, but I hope mine doesn't start doing that. How how many hours do you think you have on it? Does it happen all the time? Or only when after a long time in the saddle?

CApilot

Nov 6, 2004
I have about 20 hrs on the bike, and to answer your question no it doesn't do it everytime, seems to work ok if you are going through the gears slower and not on the throttle hard

Redrider

Nov 2, 1999
I too have the 2004 yz 250 and sometimes have trouble downshifting. I have found that this bike is very sensitive as too having fresh oil in the transmission. I have found that I need to change the oil each time I ride for good positive upshifts and downshifts. I have tried about everytype of tranny oil made from cheap to expensive and I have found that good old type F automatic transmission fluid works best. To each his own. Just my two cents worth.

Top Bottom