Shock fluid question

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Hi guys!
I'm about to try some Silkolene RSF shock oil and was wondering if I should get the 5w or the 2.5. I noticed there is quite a big gap in viscosity between the two when looking at the spec chart. Compared to others in the industry, their 5w looks to be closer to a 7w when I look at the cSt specs. It's a jap shock, so should I lean more towards the 2.5w? What do you guys think?
03' CR deux-cinquante.
Thanks!
J-S

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
After a some recent testing .I found that running a heavier fluid, has a greater inpact on the adjustability.
Russ

georgieboy

Jan 2, 2001
2.5w won't change when getting hotter, so is the most consistent.
With heavier visc cold and hot make a huge difference thus is difficult to shim properly etc.

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
I guess what I should of said was, A heaveir weight fluid with a High VI has greater adjustability range.

Russ

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Thicker oil + heat =fade.Alot of people are using the 5 wt though . Ive been using the Belray 5wt for years but I like the 2.5 Silkolene for a real tight shock or on a real quality build. 2.5 silkolene is pretty good for inside Showa T/C cartridge fork inner cart when seeking plush or softer. Dont ever use BelRay HVI in a fork though the shock oil reacts with oxygen and gets real sticky, A local guy was using HVI in showa T/Cs and the seals were chunking and burning up and streaking the tubes real bad and they felt so sticky you could hardly ride it, He was using the stuff for awhile too in a few different customers bikes . I laughed . They didnt believe it until they unscrewed the oil cap on the bottle and it was all sticky. Penske/CustomAxis is using the Silkolene I was just at a seminar, they really like it.

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
The problem with these types of oils is there is not a standard rate with these oils. What is ones 2.5 might be closer to a 5.8 so don't be fooled buy these manufactures weights.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Thanks everyone! This is turning into something very interesting. We all want to know more about the actual difference in feel between light and heavy oil weight. I know thicker makes a huge difference in internal wear but how it translates to the track???

Dean, I like your idea about the RSF in the Showa IC. After all the IC is close to a shock in many ways. Right now I got Motorex 2.5 in it but next time I'll give the RSF a shot. Cool stuff!!

russ17 said:
The problem with these types of oils is there is not a standard rate with these oils. What is ones 2.5 might be closer to a 5.8 so don't be fooled buy these manufactures weights.
Russ, you are so right! check that out: http://www.atekracing.com/page/page/339476.htm

Last edited:

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Yeah one of us should do a real world viscoscimeter test, cooled/heated/ pumped/unpumped/ the hard part would be getting the free cases of oils .

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
"quote....I always shake the bottle. When it sounds like water i am happy. wink"

What if the bottle is full? :)

georgieboy

Jan 2, 2001
Poor a little out and shake! Better do it before you buy. Do it with yr back to the shops-owner, he won't notice it.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…