Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I am a miser and refuse to pay $40 a litre for the magic KTM fork fluid, even though a local suspension tuner has tried everything to convince me that forks need the high-dollar stuff. I prefer to use $1.75 a quart ATF.
I like to change out my fluid about twice a year but I usually will take a wiff through the weep holes to see if I can detect any oxidation first. My assumption is that if the fork oil has not oxidized alot then it should still have some integrity and not eating up the metal.
Well, I just changed out the fluid in my forks this week. I normally use the cheapest ATF I can find for my tranny and I will usually use the same stuff in my forks, mainly for convienience. However, this time I decided to do a bench comparison of a few different brands of ATF just to see if I can see a difference in viscosity or texture. I bought Pennzoil, Valvoline, and Castrol Type F ATF's.
I had it in my head that I was going to use the Castrol as I really think they have a good company with quality oils. BUT, when I cracked the jug of Castrol open, I could smell the stuff immediately without even getting close to the spout. It smelled like the rear end of a '69 International truck. This smell is usually what I look for when I decide to change out my fluid. Really bad!
The Pennzoil and the Valvoline were almost odorless.
I went with the Valvoline but I would have felt good with either it or the Pennzoil.
My question is on the smell of the Castrol stuff. Is this normal for ATF to have this oxidized smell? I have never experienced this smell from a new bottle of ATF before. Is it possible that the oil was on the shelf too long and had oxidized in the bottle? I find that hard to swallow, but it's either that or the Castrol stuff just inherently has that smell. Am I correct that this smell is a tell-tale for oxidation?
What say you shock guru's?

shaggy829

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2001
castrol oil sucks.I have been in the repair and mod buisness for a long time i have always considered castrol bottom of the barrel. it looks like it
is recycled .
shaggy

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
the one suggested often in this forum is mobil 1. But it is about 7.5 wt, so i went with a 2.5 wt golden spectro instead since i wanted i lighter oil. However, i also remember that they make up certain blends with the mobil 1 also, but who knows what they are!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Shaggy, you may well be correct when it comes to the automotive products that Castrol offers, but I happen to know that their industrial fluids are top shelf.

bc, Do you notice a big difference between the 7.5wt. and the 2.5wt.?

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Yeah John Force seems to have that mustang going very fast and the say he uses the stuff in his motor. Doesnt team KAW use Castrol? Maybe the Castrol stuff is just not deodorized or something. Ive tried that Mobil ! Synthetic in some forks and they seem to feel real firm. I have almost always used BELRAY 5wt I just got my shock dyno up & running again and are making alterations to it for fork testing capabilities. What would be really cool to see is a test of some of the oils por points as relative to temps and times . I wonder if anyone has done anything like that . We all know that auto oils all have to be tested and specd but do motorcycle fork oils . I have also heard that Golden Spectros new suspension oils are really good and some big aftermarket shops are turning on to G/S. I know some people in the tranny business and the pay like$2 a gallon for DRYDENE or AGYP or whatever . That stuff gets trucked in and stored in a big tank to get pumped into your car . Maybe the transmission repair indusry has done tests to fluids? They have their own newsletters and repair letters and specialized training . Ill have to ask my friend who is a builder at the local AAMCO. I have rebuilt many auto trans while employed in the auto indusry a few years back . I was a dealer tech for many years a few different brands of cars/trucks . Jaybird the weirdest thing was on these Renault Encore Alliance cars the trans fluids used to boil up and aerate and the best fix was adding like 2 ounces of silicone additive . It actually had a Renault AMC motors part # It would also help in noisey strange acting power steering racks . Wonder if it would help in foamed up shocks? DEAN

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by Jaybird
bc, Do you notice a big difference between the 7.5wt. and the 2.5wt.?

cant really compare since i didnt know the previous weight or level! If there is a difference, its not significant and this also correlates to what i was told here, ie. the valving plays the biggest effect. It was simply a temporary fix for me before i change the valving, and the oil needed changing anyway.

Top Bottom