TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
The question may sound dumb, but I would like to know what those fluids which are sold as Fork/Suspension Oils really are.
Since the motorcycle oil market is relatively small (compared to industrial and automotive oil markets) I doubt that the oil manufacturers are really developing fluids for mx/enduro forks.
I rather think the suspension manufacturers ask the oil guys for a hydraulic fluid that fulfils certain specs, then they fill that stuff into 1-Litre bottles, sell it as "Fork Oil" and raise the price for 500%.

Some of my thoughts:

I have read here that some people use ATF in their forks (when I'm correct, ATF is basically a hydraulic fluid, right?) with no probs. When an everywhere-to-find-fluid like ATF can do do the job, why should I buy something that is at least twice as expensive?

I was told that KAYABA Fork Oil is the best available, but everybody that told me so got this information from someone who's selling KAYABA Fork Oil.
I doubt that KAYABA makes its own oil. They rather buy it from somewhere else.
BTW I definetely know that the BelRay Products sold here in Europe were produced by TOTAL in France, because it would be very uneconomic to ship 1-Litre bottles of motoroil across the atlantic.
I think the same applies to Fork Oil, so those KAYABA fluids sold in Europe are probably from another manufacturer than those sold in Japan or in the US.

On nearly every Fork Oil bottle I find the advertisement for the "very special seal-swelling additives", but as far as I know seal swellers are to find in every hydraulic fluid for telescopic movement.

So I think there is is a lot of marketing-BS involved here.
Can someone enlighten me what those fluids are?
Howdo I determine the correct viscosity, since the SAE viscosity classes don't apply to industrial fluids?
Has anyone a source of information on hydraulic fluids, links etc.?

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
TM-Frank,
Excellent questions.. Questions I asked when I was in School.. I found the answer to be something simmilar to where you are.. Go to the Material data Saftey sheet. Then go to the major oil compaines, websites and start concokting a brew..

Good Luck..

Regards,
JEr

Mobil 1 ATF makes a great base.. Look at your VI indexs.. That will give you an idea on how to handle the

svi

Dec 7, 2000
TM-Frank,
I have spoken to Mobil in the UK as I can't find synthetic ATF, and they tell me it is a US only product, the automatic gearbox market is not big enough to support it here.

svi

Dec 7, 2000
Has anybody tried Mil-H-5606G spec aircraft hyraulic fluid it looks to have the right requirements and is very cheap from my local airport. It doesn't like natural rubber seals but I don't think there are any in forks or shocks are there?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I would try to stay away from any silicon based fluids.

SAE 5-10 wt. is approx ISO 20-22, SUS (saybolt)100-105(@100deg. F.)

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
What would SAE 0 wt. be ?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
lol, Vic...about ISO 15

svi

Dec 7, 2000
Here is a spec for the fluid it looks very similar to good fork oils to me.

SPECIFICATIONS & APPROVALS
DESCRIPTION UNITS Fluid 41
APPEARANCEVISUALRed, Clear & Bright
DENSITY @ 15°Ckg/L0.87
VISCOSITY AT 100°Cmm²/s5.30
VISCOSITY AT 40°Cmm²/s14.1
POUR POINT°C< -60
FLASH POINT (PMCC)°C105
AUTO IGNITION TEMP.°C230
TANmg KOH/g0.01

dale williams

Feb 3, 2000
It's probably pretty good stuff. As a hydraulic oil it has to be a good lubricant. I prefer power steering fluid to ATF for suspension, when it is about the right weight, because it doesn't have the friction enhances for clutches. MIL oil is compatible with neoprene and viton seals, just stay away from skydral. It is not compatible with mineral oil type seals.
I like to run the heaviest weight oil that gives good action because it provides the best lubrication to the seals and bearings. On Showa twin chamber forks I use a synthetic 10-30 motor oil in the outer chamber. It really keeps the seals and bearings lubricated and reduces sticktion.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Any idea what the weight of power steering fluid is?
Can it be used in shocks?
Would a lightweight synthetic motor oil (0w-30) be a good choice for shocks and the inner chamber of the Showa twin-chambers ?

Top Bottom