YZThumper

~SPONSOR~
Aug 6, 2001
The bike in question is a 1991 KTM 500MX. I bought this bike earlier in the summer and it was in practically mint condition. The shock however began to leak pretty bad soon after the first few rides. I had a local KTM shop rebuild it with new seals etc around early August. I only had 2 rides on the shock before I decided to put a new top end in the bike, so I haven't ridden the bike at all since the last 2 rides on the newly rebuilt shock. While breaking in the new top end with an easy ride, I noticed the shock is leaking again. It's not leaking nearly as bad as the first incident, but leaking none the less.

I called the shop and explained my situation. The service department says the shock shaft may be worn. I asked if I would be charged labor if I brought the shock back in since this should have been noticed during the original rebuild, but they wouldn't commit to anything.

What should I expect from the shop as far as follow up on the original service? What am I looking at price wise if the shock shaft is worn ? If the problem is not the shock shaft, what else could cause this to keep leaking?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Incorrect fitting of the seal head will cause a new seal to leak, if the gas pressure is leaked out it will let oil by the seal.I dont blame them for not commiting to anything, as until its apart its hard to judge as top why it leaked.However i would always look after a costomer if it was my fault.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Marcus, if a person has to have a shock shaft rebuilt, is it as good as new? Is this a better option than a new shaft? Thanks!!!!

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
I have had several shafts rechromed, and have not had a problem. I typically prefer to go the oem route, but that usually consist of an entire "guts assy.", and with some manufactures can be silly money.

I would have expected the tech to inspect the shaft as part of the rebuild. I would suspect a damaged seal head on installation, or low nitrigen pressure.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Maybe the shop only replaced the seal &wiper and not the bushing that guides the shaft or maybe there are problems in the shaft surface .It is real important to have a mud flap under the air box installed and intact to keep debris sand/gravel /rocks/roost etc. out of the shock . without this the shock shaft will get sandblasted in short order . I know guys that never clean their bikes and mud cakes on their fork tubes and that gets past the wipers and causes fork seal leakage eventually , that can also happen to a shock . Better have them take another look ar if unsure find someone else . Shafts are probably available from WP shosc I think or can be rechromed or repaired or built . Look real close at trhe shaft for pitting or discoloration . If your shock leaks nitro it will cause the seal to weep or leak just l;ike Marcus said . GOOD LUCK

Top Bottom