Should I spend the extra $$ for a KTM

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Malcolm Smith Yamaha/KTM confirmed the green sticker rumor for me last weekend. I know that's no big deal for you non-californicators, but it makes a big difference here if you're a woods rider and want to connect the good trails via street-legal fireroads.

After waiting (and giving up) to see if the CRF450 might make a good woods bike or if Honda would make an enduro version, I'm starting to see orange. I don't think it will be too long before CA and many other states enact a "factory street legal only" law, knocking out the dual sport option for good dirt bikes.

I'm real impressed with the 520exc :cool:
But, geez is it expensive:scream:
But, if I added up the cost of all the crap I added to my xr440 (that already comes with the KTM), it'd probably balance:think

bwiers

Jul 3, 2001
Hey JMD,

I can add to that! I had to change the original clutch cable on my '95 MXC last week! What's up with that? How about all that money the Japanese are putting into the off-road initative to save our trails? (NOT!) I'll stick with KTM

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Yea JMD, I hear ya. That air cleaner thing is really starting to get to me on my 300. I'm sure a higher quality Jap bike would not require this.

The wrench turning does not quite track as I can change it without any tools. With any luck it will develop some other problems so I can turn some wrenches on it soon. Having to put rings in it after 2 seasons really ticked me off. It didn't really need them - just felt better taking a look around inside the cylinder and cleaning the pipe out instead of labor thru another season of air cleaner, oil, tire, and brake pad changes. Darned low quality orange bikes!

BCR-Bob

Sponsoring Member
Mar 8, 2001
OK, I broke down and adjusted the valves on my 2000 520 EXC. What a piece of junk! Can you believe that the intakes had to be backed off? There is only 1250 RACE miles and God only knows how many play and practice miles on the bike! I can't believe that I've owned this thing this long, I better sell it quick before I have to adjust the chain again.

DEGBERT

Jan 30, 2001
You know what really ticks me off about my 520 SX, it's those crap fat aluminum bars that come STOCK. Last week I had a real bad get off going about 50 mph and I think I might have bent them a little. I guess I'll have to go back to those ultra strong steel bars that come STOCK on the Jap. bikes.

Another thing, my buddy has a 00 400 EXC, and after 3000 miles on the bike he had to replace the chain and sprokets, can you believe that crap, I think he should try to get his money back from KTM.:mad: :mad:

yota

Oct 9, 2001
You know, I've been riding KTM's for about 6 years now, but enough is enough. Look at the price of your RFS. I would hope you would get some nice stuff for the extra 1200.00. Besides my Katooms, I also have a 250F YZ. I was able to put on performance pipe and ignition and still stay under price of 400 RFS and although I love my KTM 2 strokes, I would not trade the 250F for a RFS 400. Why the superior attitude? Just ride.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Originally posted by yota
You know, I've been riding KTM's for about 6 years now, but enough is enough. Look at the price of your RFS. I would hope you would get some nice stuff for the extra 1200.00.

Glad you brought this up, Yota. For your $1200 you DO get things from the RFS that you don't get from your baby blue thumper - a bike that STARTS when you need it to.:p

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
You know, I've been riding KTM's for about 6 years now, but enough is enough. Look at the price of your RFS. I would hope you would get some nice stuff for the extra 1200.00. Besides my Katooms, I also have a 250F YZ. I was able to put on performance pipe and ignition and still stay under price of 400 RFS and although I love my KTM 2 strokes, I would not trade the 250F for a RFS 400. Why the superior attitude? Just ride.

My 400SX will ride circles around a YZ or WR250F, and weighs the same or less!

So $1200, huh!

Here is a 'few' differences
Hydraulic clutch Installed ($700)
O-ring Chain installed ($100)
Magura Fat Bars installed ($100)
Excel Rims (I don't know what the F comes with)($500 - laced and installed)
Ability to start bike one kick anytime, without a hot start button (PRICELESS)

yota

Oct 9, 2001
yeh, I've got all that stuff on my 98 200mxc and my 02 125sx and its great (although 700.oo for the hyd. clutch seems a bit steep). My 250F starts easily though. I think you miss my point. Why all the bitterness? My Tacoma is probably a better truck than my buddies Ranger but it doesn't come up. Nobody is on these sites saying that your riding ability sucks, only your bike. I'm an old guy but at times I bury younger guys on better bikes and a few weeks ago in an enduro I got passed by a guy on a big bore evo bike. He passed people like they were standing still. I just don't read this kind of commentary anywhere but on KTM sites. Same thing on the Thumper Talk site. I just don't get it.

02 KTM 125 sx
01 YZ 250F
98 KTM 200 mxc
83 Husky 125 xc
76 CZ 400 Falta
73 Maico 250

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
I don't think he (Yota) will win this one!!!! It is funny how most here have had other bikes (brands) and now that they are on the KTMs, are very happy. I am not bashing other brands, I own 3 different brands and they are all great. I know I was a little hesitant on the purchase of my 520EXC, but am ecstatic with the bike. It is definitely worth the extra money. There is definitely brand loyalty with bikes, but it seems the KTM riders are more vocal with their opinions, therefore lending speculation that there may be something to this "UNITY";) As far as SUPERIOR ATTITUDE??? Well I believe most are just expressing their satisfaction with the product, with a little humor thrown in. After all the question was asked, are they worth the extra$$$$. A very resounding YES has been put forth, adding even more credibilaty to the bikes.:D :)

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Buy a used 2 stroke ktm

They go real cheap when their owners get to the melting point trying to jet their bikes properly. Talk about bikes leaving the factory unfinished...:think

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
98 200mxc ...crap jetting
90 250 exc... crap jetting
99 200 exc...crap jetting

All in need of different slides, needles, and pilot/main jets...
Unlike my yz-f, which just needed seat, tank, pipe, bigbore, handlebars, triple clamp(you get the picture...)
Unless you like your bike to gurgle.
I still like ktms, don't get me wrong.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Re: Buy a used 2 stroke ktm

Originally posted by SFO
They go real cheap when their owners get to the melting point trying to jet their bikes properly. Talk about bikes leaving the factory unfinished...:think

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! SFO, like your WR was "ready to ride" and jetted correctly when it left the factory!!!! LMAO

There are volumes on Thumpertalk dedicated to trying to get your steed of choice running right, dating back to the original 1998 all the way up to the 2002s.

Look the term "hypocrite" up in the dictionary and you should see your avatar. :silly:

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Nobody is on these sites saying that your riding ability sucks, only your bike. I'm an old guy but at times I bury younger guys on better bikes and a few weeks ago in an enduro I got passed by a guy on a big bore evo bike. He passed people like they were standing still.

I am NOT a fast rider. I think my age (and intellect) will not allow me to 'hang it out' any longer. I did not say - let's race. My money is on you winning, if that were the case. I am saying that you basically slammed my new bike, and I took the defensive. I actually like the 250 F, and never said any bike sucks. I have owned all of the top 5 manufactuers, and they all have their strong points. But my statement about the two bikes is true, given riders of equal ability.

And yes, KTM riders seem to stick together. So do Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, even GasGas:eek:

It is tough to go into a Euro forum and tout a Japanese brand. I had a deposit down on a CRF. I mentioned it a couple of times on another board and got electronically crusified. I am glad I stuck with orange though;)

To comment on jetting - If you are a really fast guy you can get over any jetting issue. It's us intermediates that need a 'perfectly jetted bike'. Plus I live for tinkering with jetting. I would probably be bored with a perfectly jetted Kawasaki right out of the box:debil:

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
I had to play with the jetting on my 01 YZ426. I did'nt have to on my 520EXC!!! I dont think that is a problem though. I dont see how a factory is supposed to jet bikes when they are delivered to different elevations. :think ;)

yota

Oct 9, 2001
I don't think I've ever had a bike that didn't benefit from jetting work, esp. with varying elevations all over the country. I spend money on all my bikes, because I can. My KTM 200 has 50mm WP conv. fork, V-force reed set up, shortened subframe, softer seat foam, steering stabilizer, leaner carb slide, different bend bars, hand guards, radiator guards, skid plate, EBC brake pads, orange rear fender and side plates, larger front sprocket, smaller rear sprocket, let's see, what else? Seriously though, It has given me good service and is a blast to ride.

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Well let me throw my 2 cents in here.
As you can see by my tag line, I own a few Yamahas.
But I also used to own a 97 KTM 300 exc.In fact A friend and I plus his brother went down and bought the last three 97 bikes that Malcolm smith had on the showroom floor.( They bought 360`s) This was a panic buy, because we needed some greensticker bikes as our old bikes where shot and all oyher brands where sold out.If you remember 97 was the last year for stroke stickers.
What followed was a 2 season love hate relationship. Although the bikes where built very well, the jetting was a nightmare. What worked at one riding area was way off at another, what worked in the morning blubered at noon.
The suspension was good and bad. The Ohlins shock was ok but the Mazzarocchi forks sucked. After having three different shops work on them they still sucked. In fact after long races my hands would be like hamburger.
And the handiling was very inconsistent, I could never hit the same line twice.
My friends bailed before I did, I stuck it out tilll I could get a 99 yz400, green sticker or not.
But there was some things I liked, the riding position was great. Im 6'4" and on all my other bikes I needed different bars, clamps and tall seat kits. Not on the KTM. it fit like a glove.
Now I am a 4 stroke only kind of guy,and I wonder about the RFS bikes, but I would not buy one with out spending some time on one.
Whats weird is that on the 300 I was able to win the open intermediate class at the Alligator enduro and I havent done as well on my Yamahas. I guess in them tight eastern woods it finally was in its element. I know im faster out here on the 4 strokes.

well thats my 2c
later mxbundy

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I think ktms are worth the $$ or I wouldn't own one.
There is a lot of potential hidden by the factory settings, I believe.
I think this is why they get bagged by the press.
I would of bought a rfs instead of a wr but my last two bikes where euro 4strokes and I was feeling a little burned out after my husaberg experience.
If you know what I am talking about honk.

Top Bottom