JoeAverage

Jun 22, 2000
OK, here's the deal... I bought a '00 Suzuki RM250 last June because I wanted to ride trails real badly... Originally I wanted a KDX, but everyone around here (NH) was sold out.. So, I got a good deal on the RM and went for it... I love the bike.. It hauls ass on the trails and there is never a dull moment... My problem is that I'm worried about potential maintenance hassles with the MX bike and the bike in general is really too much for what I need it to do. Should I switch from the RM to the KDX? I want to sell the RM and get enough to buy the KDX so it's a clean no extra money deal....

kdx22097

May 16, 2001
If your just riding a rm250 on trails would you really have to rebuild it after 10-20 hrs? That would be like a good two or three weekends of riding time.

JoeAverage

Jun 22, 2000
See, that's exactly what I'm not sure of... I don't ride the bike like a traditional MX bike... I mean I rev it through the gears, but I don't wind all the way out in every gear and keep it pinned... So, who knows how much wear and tear I put on it... I probably spend more time worrying about what damage I could be doing to it rather than just ride the damn thing and enjoy the day... who knows...

kdx22097

May 16, 2001
I think thats what I would do and ride that Rm250 if you like it. Since I have a trip meter on the kdx I keep a log book and have over 1600 miles and it seems to run just fine and has never left me stranded. When I purchased the bike in 1997 the dealer suggested I do a rebuild at aprox. 2000 miles. I will wait and see what happens. I have posted before I might try a Kdx200 for my next purchase.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
The KDX is a great trail bike, but any bike can be fun if you like it. If you are comfortable on the RM, then by all means keep it.

As for rebuilds, the RM will certainly require more frequent top-ends, but the time interval depends on how hard you ride it, not where you ride it. The engine doesn't know if it is on a trail or a track, or whether you are racing or having fun. The best advice an give you on top-end intervals is to do a compression check afetr break-in, then recheck it every 2 or 3 rides. Once you have lost about 10% of the original compression, it is time for a rebuild. My engine is for all intents and purposes a '90 KX 250, and I generally do a top-end about every 40-50 hours (usually about 5 or 6 rides). I trail ride, and I use the engine to it's fullest whenever possible.

JohninKY

Nov 18, 2000
You shouldn't have to rebuild your RM any more frequently than a KDX. I'm not sure why people say you'd have to. Your rebuild time should be based on performance and regular compression checks. Your repair manual should specify the minimum compression ratio. I have owned a KX250 and own a KDX200 and a CR250. I haven't noticed a significant rebuild frequency difference. I think many people rebuild their top ends long before it's necessary.

Unless you are having problems with your RM I wouldn't replace it with a KDX due to an unsubstantiated fear of unreliability.

Last edited:

MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
rebuilds

The reason you would have to rebuild an mx versus and enduro is that to make the same amount of power the mx has to be at a higher rpm....the kdx is known for grunt...lower rpm = less rebuilding.........but I wish there was a KDX 250 with inverted forks :)

JoeAverage

Jun 22, 2000
Thanks guys.. I appreciate the input.. Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to buy a new bike! I just feel like I'm not really using the RM to its fullest and that I'd be happier on something more "appropriate." Do you guys think it's possible for me to sell the RM at a price that would let me buy a new KDX without extra cash?

JohninKY

Nov 18, 2000
Re: rebuilds

Originally posted by MTRIDER
The reason you would have to rebuild an mx versus and enduro is that to make the same amount of power the mx has to be at a higher rpm....the kdx is known for grunt...lower rpm = less rebuilding.........

This hasn't been my experience. I don't rev the CR as much as I have to do the KDX. The CR makes more power everywhere it just doesn't have the flywheel weight to run smoothly at very low rpms. The above is probably true for a 125 though.

Top Bottom