firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well, I was all set to hang on to my little Toyota. Yes it gets good gas mileage. Yes it is paid for. No it is not powerful. No it is not sexy. It is getting up there in miles and has assorted squeaks, rattles, knocks, etc.

Plus . . . I am tired of it. My vehicle ownership time limit is usually about 1 year, and I've had the Yota for 4. Way too long. I'm bored.

But, it's really really hard to go and sign up for big monthly payments (or even small ones) when you don't have any at all. Even though my truck drives me nuts, it's so easy to just keep on going with it.

Then I saw a little F150. It is a 1995 4x4, shortbed, regular cab with an inline six and a five speed. It has zero creature comforts--neither does the Yota--and a few really really small dings. Overall, it looks really clean and well kept. Just barely under 100k miles. Clean, non-leaking motor. Ball hitch, no receiver. Worn out tires and ugly rims. Minor interior damage. Good glass. Plastic bedliner. Runs good and sounds good. Clutch feels fine, 4x4 works, no hums or rattles from under the hood, except the power steering. I haven't decided if that is bad or not since EVERY full size Ford 4x4 except the very new ones that I have been around has a whine to its power steering. I smelled a quick whiff of oil while driving it, but it might be spillage that's burning since there was no leaks on the ground and everything underneath looked good. Also there was no smoke when I started it or romped on the throttle (and believe me, I did some of that). They want $4950 for it. It's a light aqua green in color. (girly color)

I like it. It looks nice, and the biggest thing wrong with it would be a new set of tires before snow falls. The sales guy is a jerk though. But a lot of them are. I am not sure how insurance is--I do have a lot of tickets.

Whaddaya think?

Oh, sorry Pred, it's a PICKUP. That's what I meant to say.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The power steering pump is an easy fix, 1 tables spoons of DOT 3 break fluid will stop it. Tires will cost you $500. If the frame is straight and the breaks are good, sounds like a reasonable price. The six cyl. have plenty of torque and can tow most anything. If the front lug nuts have been over tightned you might need new rotors and that will cost $150. Valve cover gaskets are cheap and is a common problem. Figure a $1000 and the sale price to have a reliable safe truck(pickup).

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Yeah, I'm not too worried about the power steering--like I said, it seems to be a Ford thing. Tires can wait until fall. I would like to get wheels too but unless I get a really good deal or find good used wheels, I probably shouldn't spend the money.

Those inline 6 cylinders were bulletproof motors. It puts out a heck of a lot more power than my 4 cylinder, that's for sure. My grandfather would never buy anything but Ford trucks with the inline 6 and he used them for farm trucks for years. Wasn't too good about changing the oil either and they kept on running . . . anyway, should be SLIGHTLY better mileage than a V8 at least. Not much I know. At least it has a 5 speed, that will help.

I'm not sure if there's a valve cover gasket leaking or not. It's been detailed, so right now it looks really clean. I did hear a slight exhaust leak, which the salesman insisted was the smog pump, but I don't buy that. Do smog pumps sound like exhaust leaks?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
#1, it's not a truck

#2, it's a Ford? sheesh!

that being said, I say go for it. You'll probably be happier

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
FC, You might check out www.nada.com and www.kbb.com for what prices you should expect for trade in on the yota. You can also use them to determine what the dealer probably paid for the pick-up on trade in. Then you can figure out what type of room you have to negotiate with.
NADA is usually higher then KBB prices. So expect the dealer to offer you KBB on trade in and NADA price on the Ford. Start by going KBB to KBB or NADA for NADA prices.
Good Luck :cool:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I've had several Ford 4x4's and an old guy from Texas told me about the power steering pump fix. I tried it and I'm convinced it works. Already added to the current truc...er...pickups. :moon:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
No.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I really like the reliability and low end torque of the straight 6. But they typically don't get good mileage, even with the 5 speed. I know several people with 2wd F150's with the big 6 and 5 speed, and they are lucky to get 15 mpg on our crappy California gas.

While it may be a good truck, IMO that price is too steep by maybe $500-$1,000 compared to a reasonable private party price.

Most buyers are going to want a V8 and an automatic, so I would really use that to your advantage. If they will come way down on the price, go for it!

BTW, be prepared to be insulted by any trade-in offer a car dealer makes to you. For example, when we got my wife a new car, the dealer offered us $2,200 trade in. We sold it private party within 3 weeks for $4,400 (less $50 in advertising costs and a couple of hours of my time).

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I drive less than a mile each way to work (should be bicycling) so except for trips, I'm not too worried about gas.

I'd sell the Yota outright--no use trying to trade it in! I sold my older one for a really good price, they're popular around here.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
My dad ran his F150 with 6 for 210K before deciding he needed more grunt pulling his boat. A great little truck with plenty of torque but it was a bit light for pulling a large boat up a steep ramp.

FC I might be able to hook you up with some factory aluminum wheels with Michelin XCX/APT's that have plenty of good tread on them. They are on my big Bronco right now but I'm considering a lift and bigger meats and wheels. Could even bring them to DW and save shipping.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
:yikes: That price is way to much! Check out item #2481930424 on e-bay. same basic truck (one year older, extra cab) half the price. It will go up in price but probably not more than a thousand or so. It's only got 11 hours left, so watch it and that will give you a better idea of what it's worth. NADA and KBB are bunk. With all the new car dealers offering low or no interest and "guaranteed financing" the used car market is in the :uh: Good for buyer's, not good for sellers. Anyway just my opinion. YZ165

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
firecracker22 said:
Yes it gets good gas mileage. Yes it is paid for. No it is not powerful. No it is not sexy. It is getting up there in miles and has assorted squeaks, rattles, knocks, etc. .

I thought that you were taking about me, for a moment there :)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
LOL. Thanks guys. I'm starting to waver. The salesman is being a REAL jerk. It's got an exhaust leak, pretty minor, but a haggling point, you know? And he says "Oh, that's the smog pump, they all do that." Then I tell him I'm going to bring it by a mechanic I know, and he starts bad mouthing the mechanic. When I had the hood open, I saw it had a block heater, and I said "Oh look, a block heater." He said "Now that's a heater for your motor on the winter." Ummm, thanks. Anyway it's a nice little truck but I dunno if it's a good idea right now. Pred's right, I would be happier, but I'd also be poorer.

Salesmen piss me off SOOO much. I've been told that a shudder/grating in the clutch is ok, and normal for a truck with a lift kit (truck didn't have a lift anyway); I've been told that noticeable slop in the rear end (and audible thunking) is just fine, and normal; I've been told all kinds of ridiculous crap by salesmen, and I don't know if they do it to men too or not, but it makes me so mad I can't see straight.

cr2504life

May 17, 2004
My dad had a 95 with a inline 6 but his was auto. I found the motor to be really weak. But maybe it was wore out. It also basicaly drinked the gas. He now has a 04 f150 with 4.6 V8 and it is much easier on gas and alot more power. Oh yeah may grandfather also get better milage with his 03 f-150 with 5.4L V8. But the mileage will be quite a bit better with the standard tranny.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Don't do it, sounds like the little ToyO does good, drive it til it drops, no sense in having monthly payments or spending more dough, what do you get, you still have an old crappy truck ! With the extra tickets insurance could screw you - maybe you just need to 'pimp your ride!' :)

If you want the truck, don't even haggle, offer $3500, take it or leave it. If he says no, then walk away.

Also, check out http://www.autotrader.com do a search on the year, model mileage, search within 300 miles of you, and you will have a much better idea of what these sell for around you.

In this price range I'd be looking out for a T100

I think you need a TITAN :p

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
Unless you have the moola for something nice you dont mind looking at and driving daily, for me that means leather, crewcab, Diesel, 4x4 ... which is why I got an F250... IMHO Why go into debt for something that doesnt even have a crewcab or the very least an extended cab. I will never buy another truck with out at least an extracab... Where does all the stuff go... Toyota's Rock! Trick it out...New Paint goes a long way....

Jul 22, 2004
that power steering whining is usual problem...my friends 94 ford f-150 xlt 2 wd makes the same noise, and hes been driving with it for about 4 months, now, we just keep it full and nothing seems the affect the steering...i'd say just leave that go..it sounds like a decent buy to me :)

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
If I were you, I'd hold on to the Yota. I've had 5 Toyota 4x4's since I've been old enough to drive, and I have yet to be let down in any way. They really are bulletproof. Plus, I wouldn't give that salesmen a dime. The things he's telling you are NOT normal, and will eventually leave you stranded. If you can find a T100 in good shape, don't buy it, give me a call first and tell me where it is :nener:
Nah, I'd definitely hang on to the Toy, or get a newer Toy if possible. I like the old Fords, but you'll regret buying a gas guzzling old P/U with more problems than your current truck. Hold out until you save up enough $$$ to get the 2005 Tacoma with 245 hp. THAT thing is sexy...

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Personally, I wouldn't give up the Yota for a stipped down Ford. I've learned (the hard way, of course) that getting rid of a vehicle that is paid off, and still has life in it is a major mistake, financially. But if you're making a major change in vehicles and need the new features (size, mileage, power, etc.) then it's worth it to be happy with what you're driving. Last year I quit driving my '93 reg. cab Ranger Splash, that was paid off, ran great, looked sharp...and bought my 2000 Chevy x-cab. A MAJOR increase in money spent, but I "needed" the room, both inside and out. And it was the best purchase I've ever made. Going from a stripped Yota to a stripped Ford isn't much of an upgrade, though. But if you do get it, I can hook you up with wheels/tires. I have a customizing biz on the side now.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well I did let it pass, but a bigger vehicle is still attractive.

And the Ford wasn't old . . . it was 2 years newer than my 93 Toy. My Toyota is equally stripped down. I've NEVER owned anything with power locks or windows, AC, so on and so forth. The Toyota does have carpet, but you can't see it most of the time . . .

Part of it is boredom . . . I used to average about 1 year per vehicle, and now I've had this Toyota since the fall of 2000! It's a record of some kind.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I know what you mean. Before I got married, 2 years with a vehicle was my record. But after getting married, I had the Ranger for 4 years (actually still have it) and a Z-28 for 4 years, and plan on keeping my wife's current car and my truck for at least 5 or 6 years. We'll see how that goes...

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
For the record, BSmith is right about the power steering pumps in Fords, and the salesman was actually right about one thing; Ford rear ends 'clunk' when you put them in gear.

Top Bottom