BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I had an idea today for showers, MASH type. I just talked to my plumber and he will loan us a 50 gallon electric water heater, fittings and valves for two rudimentary showers. I located some 200 gallon tanks for $50 a peice. With some lumber and polypropolene tarps, I think I can rig us up showers with HOT water.
The showers would be to get wet, turn the water off, lather, then rinse. I'm going to check on how much 400 gallons of treated city water will cost. My plumber even offered to haul the whole set up to Cooperland on his gooseneck flatbed. If everyone that used the showers would conserve the water, best they can, I think 400 gallons would last. If not, the tanks could be taken into Stillwater to be refilled.
Should I persue this further? :think:
The only other thing needed would be power. A generator would due.

Last edited:

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
BSwift,
why not charge $1 for a shower, just to keep everybody conscious that there is not an endless supply of water?

Sounds like a great idea! The shower, that is. :aj:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I was thinking about that but would let everyone decide. The tanks I could re-sell later, might keep one. I going to check on some 12volt water pumps at an RV salvage. I think I could have everthing pre-built and it would take a hour or so to assemble, with some help.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I have a room at the motel, but if you need help, I plan to be there on Monday to help with anything that needs to be done.

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
Come on this is a dirt bike race who needs showers?
<sarcastic voice Off>

good idea :cool:

You guys could have alot of fun with this one. Like best in the shower singer would get a trophy or how many DRNer's can you fit in a shower. Or if you really wanted to get creative Have a shower race..and that would help conserve water. Then you could have a judge to smell arm pits to see who is the best shower taker-- I nominate Rich Rohrich to be a pit smeller judge. :aj:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Would there be any local grey water laws that need to be considered for a group this size?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by VintageDirt
Would there be any local grey water laws that need to be considered for a group this size?
It's called a dry creek.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
as a registered professional land surveyor in the state of oklahoma, i am duty-bound to report any illegal or improper disposal of sanitary sewer that i happen to observe.

please be sure that i don't look in that direction. :D

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Look at it as running in a sprinkler. Granted some folks bodily odors might qualify as sewage but overall it's more of a public health SERVICE :D

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Cool Brian! I bet everyone would chip in... just put a coffee can by the entrance, take donations, bound to pay for itself.

CC_RIDER

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 15, 2001
Originally posted by BSWIFT
My plumber even offered to haul the whole set up to Cooperland on his gooseneck flatbed.... I think 400 gallons would last. If not, the tanks could be taken into Stillwater to be refilled.

Brian, is the plumber going to leave the trailer setup? If not, those tanks are going to weigh around 15 hundred pounds apiece once they're full.

Kinda hard to move around.

I think the idea is great though! I'll ante up a couple bucks up front if necessary! ;)

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Great idea, I'll bet after a day or two you'll have people offering to pay for other folk's showers!!!!!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The idea with the trailer is to build a small platform to elevate the tanks and let gravity provide most of the water preasure. This would of course be done prior to filling the tanks. I'll be checking on the lumber costs today/this weekend as well as some other projects. We might be able to have Brownie use his track hoe to dig a pit for the runoff water and let it percalate into the ground slowly. I'll have to check on that as well.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Great, now I don't have to roll in the dirt to get clean!;) Not sure if I trust standing in a closed shower out in the middle of all you spodes! I can see it now, the curtain falls, and voila! I'll chip in but we can add another coffee can for someone to act as a guard!:) Being the public servant I am, I'd be happy to guard the hen house, I mean shower!

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
I thought there were showers at the track already.. Guess not. :(

Brian ... the shower idea sounds great. I can tell you from experience that a 5 Gal bucket gives up 2 showers so 400 gallons will give approx 160 showers. With a couple hundred people wanting to take a daily shower you will need to fill the tank daily. Is there any way we could run a garden hose from a faucet straight to the hot water heater and not have to fill the tanks?

You can get a 12 volt sump type pump at WalMart for $15 that is made as a bilge pump for boats. That is the way I set up my little portable shower for the last 2 years. Battery life may be a concern if you with a 12 V pump. I ran mine for 3 days 2 showers a day and never ran low on battery but with a hundred showers per day you might need multiple natteries and chargers.

Another option is to rent or buy a portable shower system

Here's a few links for you:

http://www.hotcampshowers.com/
http://www.nopowerhotshower.com/
http://www.citizensafe.com/porhotshowpr.html
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/esoutfitters/pro7porhotsh.html

Maybe we can build something like these small portable units on a bigger scale? Just a thought.

I did see whre Kohler has a 32 foot long trailer they sell that is set up as a bathroom and shower unit or shower units alone. They didnt rent them but siad they would provide a list of vendors who did.

http://www.kohlermobile.com/

I am sure most folks wouldnt mind kicking in some $$ for a hot shower.

Brian let me know if I can help.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I'll kick in for sure. I'm not a bird (so a dust bath won't help) and nothing will feel as good as a hot shower on sore bones.

My vote would be to go the Kohler route if it doesn't cost an arm and leg to rent for a week and one is close. It is bound to be self sufficient and nobody would have to man the thing and Elk wouldn't have to worry about someone pulling a MASH on him.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
:moon: :moon:!!! Elk smells just fine!:)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Doing some more legwork on it today between Dr.'s appointments.:scream:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Last year I just pulled the high pressure nozzle out of the pressure washer and washed myself off up at the bike wash.

Funny...I don't remember the masses clamoring to get at me while I was exposed. Someone must have been holding them back.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Affirmative. It will be this weekend on prices for materials. Trying to scrounge most of it but will likely have to put out some cash for some.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Brian,

I have a room reserved in town for just that purpose, but will be camping at the track too. I was going to build my own portable shower system or just let Pro-Clean hose me off, but in this case will gladly chip in help with construction or whatever necessary and funding for water purchase for use of the facility. Probably will even be chipping in for some other members shower too before the week is over! :)

Top Bottom