jeffg

Jul 5, 2000
I have an older bike with a shroud bolt that I can't remove. The "nut" molded into the tank turns when I try to remove the bolt. :eek: Any suggestions on how to get the bolt out? What have you done to re-fix the nut in the tank? :worship:

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
You'll basically have to reef the nut out of the plastic(turn it while applying pressure under it with a screwdriver or sumthin). They are sometimes hex nuts that are cast into the tank, but often are just cylindrical with knurls on the outside.

You can carve a little socket in the tank's plastic to fit a proper size hex nut and glue it in place. Or, you can go to a ski shop and get a 'P-Tex repair candle' and fill the hole up with new plastic and then drill it to fit whatever you insert.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Be careful how much drilling and carving you do as there typically isn't a lot of room for error on plastic tanks. Might want to consider popping it out and then just reinstalling it with some epoxy in the plastic and some anti-seize on the threads.

jeffg

Jul 5, 2000
Thanks fellas. I agree that there probably isn't alot of room for error. I think I'll try and pop it out and remount it with some epoxy. I just recently got the bike; this bolt may not have been touched in quite a while.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom