Slipknot6

Nov 23, 2002
I want to black out my side pannels. There is no such thing as a black KDX 220 side pannel, as far as I can see.

I have a 1998 KDX 220.

I was thinking about either Krylon Fusion, which I heard it doesnt work, but I also heard it does, or black backgrounds.

Someone I know painted his front disk cover yellow with the stuff, rode at Unadilla, in the national, and it still looked fine after. Fusion is $5 on this site I found. I figured I can try it out.

As for the Black backgrounds, Rocky Mountain, Bobs, and Dennis Kirk don't have them unless I am missing something. Anyone know where I can get black backgrounds for my KDX side pannels?

Also for anyone that has tryed Fusion, How does it work in your opionion?

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
you can get black backgrounds anywhere. You just have to cut them yourself. i dont believe they make pre-cut ones for the KDX's. I also believe they are called universal backrounds. They come in white, yellow, and black. You will get 3 12X18 inch sheets in the pack for about 15$ (U.S.)

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
I have black back ground stickers on my side panels and headlight, the local bike shop here ordered them for me. Don't hold me to it, but I think they were from N-style. He found them in one his shop books, you might want to try calling them. I also had a friend paint his Cycra front disc guard, he used paint for a plastic bodied radio control car.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Factory Effex makes (or made) precut backgrounds for the KDX.  I purchased two sets.  I'm not sure if they make them anymore though.

They may have been discontinued.  They were available in Black, white, or yellow.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I went to an auto store that specialized in interiors and bought a spray can product used to cover stains and such on seats and door plastics and vinyls. It worked great. It even fills in the scratches. I can't remember the name of the stuff, but I will get back with it. It will turn any vinyl or plastic to any color they have. I sprayed my vinyl seats in my truck from blue to white and it is holding up well.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Ski Pro (rating) 3, idea sounds the best but if you can't find his product a regular can of krylon will do the job. Use the black backgrounds and cut to your kdx and then krylon the edges so they are not white any more. I think it looks good on my bike and it has held up super well. I usually cover all stickers and numbers with clear sheets to keep the shiny appearance. My back purple fender is covered in vinyl background and is two years old and not showing any dulling. Remember that any paint will scratch and some people are looking to never touch anything up so they have tried to dye the plastic. There are some threads on that in this forum.

Slipknot6

Nov 23, 2002
So are you guys sugesting I screw the Krylon and go with the Black backgrounds? I have looked everywhere for them and cant find them!!

I will just go to my local Parts Unlimited dealer.

If the Krylon works good, I would rather get that because its cheaper, but If you guys say the Background is the better deal, I will go with that.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
The backgrounds are just thick sheets of vinyl, not the cut backgrounds. Almost any good mx shop should have standard sheets in a rectangle shape in white and black. Use the black to cover and than spray kylon on the edges to finish the look. You could maybe spray the entire sidepanel and then apply clear vinly sheet but it is up to you.

Slipknot6

Nov 23, 2002
Are the "Carbon Fiber Sheets" Factory Effex makes the same thing as the background? Thats the only black background I could find online. Will that work? 2 Sheets, 12"x18" for $20. Two sheets should cover both side pannels.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
that is pretty pricey and do u really want a fake carbon look that covers that much area. some fake carbon here and there is ok when in small patches.
IMO. Try dennis kirk or bobs cycle supply

Top Bottom