BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
I've just purchased a FMF rev pipe for my 01KDX220.
Will it fit with the stock silencer.?
If so what kind of power increase can I expect without a matching/new silencer.?

Thanks
Joe

RIRider

Sep 16, 1999
Yes, it will fit although some people have had difficulties aligning things up with FMF pipes. I put on a Pro-Circuit on my 01 220 with the stock silencer and power increase was truely awesome. I just ordered a PC silencer mainly for weight reduction.

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Excellent,,,,
I goal here is to make improvements one at a time..
I recently sold a 90KDX200 that was done to the nines when I bought it.Oh it was fun but,I'd rather grow with the mods.

Joe

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The general consensus is that an aftermarket S/A won't get you much in the way of performance gain...only weight advantage.

I put off getting an S/A for that reason. When I finally got one, I was surprised to find that the performance increase was quite noticeable. More responsive right off the bottom...and quite a bit 'smoother' in power application. It's not an amazing thing, but noticeable enough.

BTW..I put on a PC primarily due to problems with mounting and mounting hardware (commonly missing) problems with the TC from FmF. I didn't like the tip, lack of tip actually, in the FmF either.

New PC S/As now have the same tip design as the FmF TC does.

And, yeah...it will fit as well as the FmF allows it too.

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
I choose the FMF strickly on cost...
E-bay purchase that I couldn't turn down..
Even with exchante..US to C-bucks
Aftermarket accessories here in snows-ville are steep to say the least.
I personally do not mind MAKING things fit.Of course bolt-on and go is perfered but hey,,,money talks ..."or lack of it"

Not only do I want to mod one piece at a time to appreciate and realize each addition but,,,noise is a factor aswell.
The KDX in stock form is dead quite. As all will attest.

Although... as I've read through other threads I've seen that the 'FMF Turbine Core II Spark Arrester Silencer' is not overly loud. If fact others report it has a pleasant note....This I like.

Ah spring,,,can it come soon enough. I fear not..rats!!

Joe-in-the-snow =)

kdxsam

Sep 20, 2002
Yes it should fit. But, the stock silencer is very restrictive. I installed the new Race Cap silencer from PC and it did give the bike a noticable change in power. Definetly in sound (not real loud, but has a nice sound to it). The stock bike doesn't even sound like a 2-stroke. It's kindof in-between a 2 and 4 stroke sound. But, installing ANY aftermarket free-flow muffler will actually give it a good throaty sound along with weight savings and slight notice in power delivery (not much though).

GREENHORNET

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2003
I put a fmf tc2 on my 220- it sonded kind of throaty- then i re-packed tc2 and now it sounds blaaah, i miss the tharoty sound- ? what is the best silencer packing to use? any cartridge systems that work well/ oh well i have 21/2 months to figure this out thanks

dmcc

Apr 3, 2002
I have to agree on the power difference, I've got the FMF 35 (woods) pipe and ran it with the stock silencer and then a PC factory sound---seems to rev alot more freely, with noticeably better power everywhere--and about 3lbs lighter too.

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Well I'm glad to here the stock silencer will work with an aftermarket pipe..
Excellent...
Baby steps here.
Thanks
Joe

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
Silencer packing?? I use good ol' pink or gold batts (fibreglass wool insulation batts) Cheap as chips, grab a bit from out of the ceiling..!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom