Silicone for silencer repacking/exhaust leak

jtricer1973

Jul 4, 2005
Hey guys, I am going to get some 4 inch pipe fiberglass this evening to repack my silencer and was wondering if I need silicone. If so what type and where do I need to put it?
Also, I have a bad exhaust leak where the pipe connects to the silencer. How do I fix this? With silicone? Would this leak affect anything?
Oh, and its a FMF gold pipe and FMF silencer.

Thanks

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
jtricer1973 said:
...and was wondering if I need silicone. If so what type and where do I need to put it?

I use the red hi-temp on all internal/external intersections. For example, where the end cap is inserted.

jtricer1973 said:
Also, I have a bad exhaust leak where the pipe connects to the silencer. How do I fix this?

A hose clamp usually does the trick. Is the pipe damaged in such a way there there is a poor fitment between the pipe ad the silencer?

jtricer1973

Jul 4, 2005
No, I don't believe there is any damage,it just isn't sealed in any way, just slipped together. It looks to be a poor fit though and you can definately see smoke and spooge coming out of it.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Some bikes have a rubber adaptor piece that seals the silencer and pipe junction. You may be missing it.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…