dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
I am looking into buying a protector for my engine on my RM250 and I have two choices a skid plate or a glide plate. They both look like they do the same thing.

Can anyone provide me with any differences between the two.

Any recommedation on what to buy will be helpful also.

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
What do you recommend me get.
I am a novice rider and I hit jumps once and a while. Nothing very big.

Thanks

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I like the ones that cover the frame rails as well - its easy to bottom out on a rock and bend the frame. Plus, the oil drain plug on my RM hangs down near the bottom of the frame rails, so I like that to be completely protected

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
What sort of riding do you do? If you only ride motocross, I'd recommend a glide plate as it's lighter and doesn't collect as much mud. If you get a glide plate, go for a carbon fibre one over a plastic one. I primarily ride offroad (enduro, harescrambles, cross-country) so I need the full protection provided by a skid plate. The protection does help in motocross too as I don't have to worry about a rock punching a hole in my cases or clutch/ignition/waterpump covers. How much protection do you want?

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
I ride trails and in the woods. Once I get more time on the bike I would like to get on to the track. I was riding in some sand and rocks this weekend and I had some rocks hit my foot pegs while I was riding. They may have hit the engine, but I could not really tell.

I guess I would get something with the most protection. A skid plate right?

Top Bottom