oldrnyzr

Sep 2, 2004
Just put new main bearings and a built crank on this '02 yz250, and since I had it apart it was also time for some new clutch plates and springs.
When I put the whole mess together... no extra parts.... there now is all kinds of slack in the clutch actuator arm and hence in the cable. With almost all the adjustment taken out the clutch lever has to be pulled to the bar to get any clutch action. :yikes:
I have not started it yet, but is this due to the friction plates being new and since I soaked them in oil first they are thicker?
I have been all over the manual and can't find anything different or out of place, I even took the clutch all apart again to see if it was put together wrong. :|
There is quite a bit of "free play" in the push rod before it makes contact with the pressure plate. :bang:
Any help.....????

Thanks in advance.

JG

B

biglou

Just thinking out loud here: Are you adjusting the barrel adjuster first, then fine tuning with the adjust next to the lever? Also, did this bike have a ball bearing at the end of the actuator rod?

oldrnyzr

Sep 2, 2004
big lou-

yes it does have the bearing at the end of the push rod.

I even counted plates thinking maybe there were too many in the kit. 15 total same as stock.

It feels as though the push rod gies further in now than I remember, you could just grab it with your fingers befor and now it is almost flush with the shaft itself. I did not remove the actuator arm though so I don't know why that would be different.???? :uh:

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
Is the actuator all the way into it's bore?

You didn't by chance happen to miss the thrust bearing under the pressure plate?(goes 'on top' of the clutch button-which holds the ball which the pushrod pushes on?) They almost always stay with the pressure plate in my experience, and if they aren't looked for and retreived it is an easy thing to misplace.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
If I remember right, there is one plate(fiber) that has a larger inner diameter than the rest. It goes on last. This allows the "pressure plate" to seat tightly against the clutch pack. When you have it all toghther, is there "play" in the clutch plates? I learned this the hard way, hope this helps. YZ165

oldrnyzr

Sep 2, 2004
reelrazor... I don't think so. This thrust bearing is part of a whole small assembly that has a cir-clip at the end, and I didn't take this apart. It fits down into the shaft and rides on the push rod, and pushes against the pressure plate.

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
Ahh , my bad. So the button(with thrust bearing), ball, and pushrod are all where they should be, the actuator arm is at its' 'lever out' position when you install the pushrod...pretty much leaves the plates/discs.

There are four part numbers for the discs in that clutch

3XJ-16321-00-00 PLATE, FRICTION, qty. of 2, (which are fiber plates and go one at each end of the stack)

5DH-16321-00-00 PLATE, FRICTION , qty. of 7, (also fiber and go in the 'middle' of the pack)

5NL-16325-10-00 PLATE, CLUTCH 2. qty. of 1, (metal plate, goes on the inner end of the stack after the first part number listed)

5NL-16325-00-00 PLATE, CLUTCH 2, qty. of 7, (metal, and finish off the stack, alternated with the fibers).

Was this a Barnett or other aftermarket kit by any chance? Sometimes they specify that you need to use the OEM 'oddball' plates like the first and third above that I listed in addition to their kit to get proper stack height.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
That's good info. reelrazor.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
This is a YZ 250 2 stroke right? There is no ball bearing on the pushrod and no oddball plates. YZ 250 has not had a ball bearing on the pushrod since 96. It's very common to have additional cable slack when installing new plates so just do what Lou said with the adjuster. Also, replace the pushrod as they do get shorter and you will burn your clutch faster with one that is "junk". If you look at the end of it that comes in contact with the actuator arm you will see the burr or "mushroomed" end on it. Replace it and keep an eye on it. I typically replace my pushrod at the beginning of every season.

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
Shocknut said:
This is a YZ 250 2 stroke right? There is no ball bearing on the pushrod and no oddball plates. YZ 250 has not had a ball bearing on the pushrod since 96. It's very common to have additional cable slack when installing new plates so just do what Lou said with the adjuster. Also, replace the pushrod as they do get shorter and you will burn your clutch faster with one that is "junk". If you look at the end of it that comes in contact with the actuator arm you will see the burr or "mushroomed" end on it. Replace it and keep an eye on it. I typically replace my pushrod at the beginning of every season.

In '02 there was a YZ250P(two stroke) and a YZ250FP(four stroke).

On the P model, you are correct Shocknut. On the FP however, there ARE 'oddball plates' AND ball bearing:
part # 93511-32027-00 BALL , qty. of 1 (fiche page reference # 22).

The P model has the actuator located on the side of the engine case, the FP has it protruding from the top.

oldrnyzr

Sep 2, 2004
shocknut :)
thanks....... I will sleep better. I appreciate all the help, just another feather in this sites' cap...... I love 'ya man.

JG

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Sorry if I wasn't clear reelrazor...I WAS talking about the 2 stroke when I made those comments as that is what I perceived him to be riding.

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
Shocknut,

I know. I was just trying to clarify the issue entirely. The first few times through I just assumed two-stroke as well. You know, I hear/see YZ250 and my mind's eye sees a 2stroke. When I was checking the microfiche, I forgot about the four stroke, but saw the two models and kinda assumed it was a running model change, or there was an option bike and I was just looking at the clutch pages. One showed a ball in the clutch mechanism, one didn't. On eshowed four part numbers for the clutch plates, one showed two. Since oldrnyzr stated "...ball...." in his post I referenced the model with the ball.

So, I knew I was right on the clutch plates and ball bearing, turns out you were as well.

Damn Yamaha, why don't they call it a OP250(Overweight Pig) or something?

Top Bottom