It's gotta be the clutch, not the carb.

paul407

Apr 4, 2004
1987 CR500 - Here is the scenario: New EBC clutch (taken apart and put together several times and yes it is in correctly from BB to plates). The bike starts, idles, and revs great in idle. However, when I put it in gear (with the clutch lever pulled all the way in) the bike starts to sputter and I have to throttle it real good (back and forth) to keep it alive.

I have tried the clutch adjustments with the lever bolt and cable bolt but can’t get the right combination. It seems like it is not wanting to let go all the way (hanging a little). Any steps to adjusting would be great. I have tried everything from real tight to having the slack in the clutch lever but no luck.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I am pretty sure that is normal for that bike. You can not start it in gear either. Warped steels and grooves in the inner hub and basket will do this also. But I would bet yours are fine. That bike is a beast!

paul407

Apr 4, 2004
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
I am pretty sure that is normal for that bike. You can not start it in gear either. Warped steels and grooves in the inner hub and basket will do this also. But I would bet yours are fine. That bike is a beast!

Yeah, but if I am in gear and pull in the clutch the bike will want to stall when the RPM's drop.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
That's what he said, it's normal for it to not idle in gear. I can't remember if I've heard an 87 500 idle in gear or not. I've certainly heard them idle in neutral just fine. When was the last time you took a look at the reeds? I ride an 87 CR as well, but it's a 250 (nothing in common). There is a bike that doesn't like to idle in gear or out.

When you said a new EBC clutch did that include the steels (or aluminums if that's the case) or was it just frictions? A dragging clutch can be a symptom of warped steels as stated earlier. Have you even ridden the bike at all since you put the new clutch in? Maybe it just needs to break in a bit.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I could not tell you if a euro bike will kick in gear today,use to they were a joke! There have been a few open class bikes that were just plain stubborn about releasing completely. Not a good idea to try kicking a new 4t in gear either! How about the washers in proper place shimming the clutch?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Back when my reeds weren't worn out, my bike used to kick start in gear no problem, now it wont. Weak idle/hard starting in gear or out is often a sign of bad reeds.

paul407

Apr 4, 2004
76GMC1500 said:
That's what he said, it's normal for it to not idle in gear. I can't remember if I've heard an 87 500 idle in gear or not. I've certainly heard them idle in neutral just fine. When was the last time you took a look at the reeds? I ride an 87 CR as well, but it's a 250 (nothing in common). There is a bike that doesn't like to idle in gear or out.

When you said a new EBC clutch did that include the steels (or aluminums if that's the case) or was it just frictions? A dragging clutch can be a symptom of warped steels as stated earlier. Have you even ridden the bike at all since you put the new clutch in? Maybe it just needs to break in a bit.
Only the friction plates and springs. I don't think it is the reeds because one, they are new (reeds only) and two, the only idle problem is when I engage the bike. I have not put it up on a stand with the rear wheel off of the ground but I bet that if I did, the rear wheel would still be spinning with the clutch pulled all the way in.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
Stretched clutch cable? I think you might have to break your bike in with the new clutch. ive got an 84 cr125 and when i replaced everything in the clutch i would put it in gear and it would pull a bit. All i did was just ride it around for about a halfhour and the bike no longer pulls when in gear.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
So your steels are probably warped. I don't know of any bike that will keep the wheel still while on the stand with the clutch in. The wheel will even turn with the bike in neutral (though not very fast). I think the solution to this problem is to go hillclimb the crap out of the thing and have some fun.

Top Bottom