Smokes

quattto

Oct 19, 2003
94 kdx 200 32:1 ratio 150 main 48 pilot not sure on the needle have not checked yet, just picked up this bike. Only smokes when idleing around when into the throttle cleans up . Bike has really nice power . Any thoughts on the smoke needle maybe?

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
if it aint smokin something wrong. should clear up a little when its warmed up good. what part of the country are you in that 150 main sounds a little lean. i would check it. search on wot plug chop for all the info. if you have had the carb apart to see that you have a 150 main and 48 pilot why didnt you check the needle? numbers should be on there they are just small theres a number on the slide too whats it and no the needle isnt why its smokin.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
My 03 200 smokes a lot too. It is most likely a jetting problem. If you haven't already done so, read the "Carb Tuning" section of CD's JustKDX web site, then do a search on this forum for jetting.

A 150 main sounds reasonable but that depends on your altitude, temperature, and relative humidity. The 48 pilot (stock on my 03) sounds a little rich, and I bet your needle is in the mid position (stock) too. I suspect experimentation with a 45 & 42 pilot, and possibly a change in needle position, will get you closer to your goal. Make your changes one at a time so you can gauge your progress.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Just bear in mind that when on idle the pilot jet & slide are most relevant as the throttle is closed. Also you are revving very low & the ports are open for a long time relevant to engine speed & the pipe is out of its efficient range meaning you are getting a lot of short circuiting of mixture so it’s likely to smoke.

Tune for best response & ignore the smoke factor.

Ignore when you first start up as they always smoke worst then.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…