murphy's law

Oct 11, 2002
I just got my jug back from Eric Gorr today and in my excited state I snapped a bolt on the exhaust flange. It was threading in kinda tight and i pushed it when i probably shouldn't have. Lesson learned. Anyway i can't get the bolt out and i was told by a friend to tap it out and install a "heli coil" as new threads. Does anyone have any experience with this? 2002 CR-250

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
murphy's law said:
Anyway i can't get the bolt out and i was told by a friend to tap it out and install a "heli coil" as new threads.
2002 CR-250

murphy.

Is there any part of the bolt or stud sticking out of the threaded hole? If so, you may be able to grab it with a pair of vice grips or a stud remover. Try heating the cylinder a little bit first to help loosen the stud.

If the broken stud is below the gasket surface, take the cylinder to a welding shop and have them add some weld bead to the end of the broken stud until it is exposed above the gasket surface and then weld a nut to the bead. While the area is still hot, take a wrench on the nut and unscrew the stud.

Only drill and easy-out the stud as a last resort. It is easy to drill the stud off center and very easy to break off an easy-out.

If that happens, you are in deep doo doo. :ugg:

Another method is EDM. Electronic discharge. There are places that can remove the stud by using electronic discharge. Check you yellow pages for a machine shop that does EDM.

Just my $ .02 Hope it helps. :thumb:

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
I did this same thing on my upper triple clamp and almost freaked on the same bike. Go to Sears and buy an easy out/extractor. Basically it consists of driill bit and some reverse taps. The whole trick is to use a punch in the center of the bolt to start the drill and the rest is pretty easy. You drill the appropriate size hole (In the center of the bolt) for the easy out you are using, you then take a hammer and tap the easy out into the hole, it has a left hand twist to it so when you turn it counterclockwise it will dig into the bolt and hopefully back it out. just dont break the E-Z Out off in the bolt cause you will play hell trying to get it out, carbide is about the only way to remove a broken E-Z out.I would get the smallest one available.

Erik

ericlachance

Feb 16, 2003
I've had great luck using snap-on extractors on broken bolts and screws. I don't claim to be a bolt extraction expert, but it seems to happen often on my bikes. Thats what happens when you get too excited and anxious. :) Anyways, the extractors come as a 25 piece set are are guaranteed for ever. I paid 60$ canadian for them (I did have a 40% discount on them though.)

Eric

Top Bottom