Snorkel and screen removal in airbox

Alex2

Jul 20, 2009
Has anyone ever heard about this? Supposedly if you remove the snorkel and screen in your airbox, it will give you more power?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
What kind of bike?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It's a common mod of most XR's. There is a backfire screen under the filter and the idea is that it improves performance. The snorkle mod is also and XR thing but I've heard of it on some other bikes as well. Basically another airflow modification.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Isn't that screen there to prevent your air filter (and the bike that's attached to it) from burning up if the engine back fires?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yup.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I know a guys 06 CRF450, dang near burnt him also. If you want a race bike, get one. If you want to build one, thats another story. Make sure the bike is in good mechanical shape, jet it, and ride it. Vintage Bob

Timmer

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2009
I have heard of it for the KDX's. You have to clean your twice as much and I am not too sure the advantage is noticable.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
on some bikes, the snorkle mod is legit.

Not so sure on the screen, though. I saw dyno testing on a YZ, screen removed vs. screen in place, and it didn't make any difference. Plus if you were to cut it out, you would have to be careful there wasn't any possibility of little "hairs" of screen left over that could be sucked in.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
I hear on some bikes it works, on some it dont.

Ive got a xr650r, and supposedly it gives you an extra .00000000001 hp.

Not worth the risk of dirt getting in there for me.
Even if it was an xtra 5 hp. :coocoo:

Top Bottom