the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
... went out to Teagle Wash today for TWMC's High Desert enduro ... hosted by Tim Stoner and Dean Bishop. There was quite a bit of rain the night before so I was looking forward to some sweet dez traction. I got there around 7:30 AM and Scar Tissue and Holeshot showed up about the same time.

The course was really, really fun. A lot of rollercoaster up / downhills connected by fast but tight sand washes, not too many whoops, and hardly a rock in sight. LOTS of elevation changes - and LOTS of turns. These trails were new to me ... I don't remember them from any previous club events.

Scar Tissue got a trophy for 5th place novice. :aj: Way to go Tim ! Holeshot got 11th novice. That was it for the crew . . . everyone else was MIA this weekend.

The next TWMC event is on June 15th. See ya there !

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I almost forgot ... Holeshot's new Dodge pickup is da schizzo !!

Don't be hatin'.
:confused:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Woops ... one more thing ... Matt Cassle was there too. "MCassle" here on DRN. He's a D-36 guy ... nice to see you down here Matt .... and nice bike !

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Wouldntchaknowit!

I brought the loaner bike down to Org. Co. with me while I visitied family Friday (have gear, will travel); was either going to return it to it's owner or head out to Ridgecrest Saturday when the thought came "how often do I get to ride in the dez after a rain?" So I called to reserve a motel room since my camping gear was back it Sant Maria. The lady at the other end of the phone said they had "some, but hardly any" rain Friday night, and "it's still dry here". So I left off the loaner and came back to Santa Maria.

Argh!

Am gald you guys had a good ride, though. Riding in the dez after a rain is like having your cake and eating it too.

MelloYello

~SPONSOR~
Nov 22, 2002
Sounds like I missed a fun event.:( For future reference, how do I enter a TWMC event? Just show up and pay da man?

"schizzo"? You mean shizzle - and fizzle my nizzle.:laugh:

John, I've still got your rollchart holder and clock. You getting your bike put back together soon?

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
I'm glad I braved a four-hour drive of solid rainfall on Friday to make this event! The central valley of CA was a deluge of rain, with a slight let up over Tehachapi and the beautiful high desert. Arrived at camp late Friday night, with off & on rain. Oh man, this is great for the course I kept on thinking. Managed to find Deans trailer, and proceeded to bum yet another bed from him for the weekend ;) Thanx Dean, your hospitality is much appreciated … and it sure beats sleeping in the bed of my truck, especially when it is raining!

Saturday was wet in the morning, with it letting up at times all through out the day. Managed to put in a solid fifty or so miles of high desert terrain just to check both trail conditions & the bike overall since it is still fairly new. Biggest thing I noticed was the complete lack of dust ... what a treat in the desert :) Went from Charles place to the Sand Hills to out on the other side of Trona road, some good stuff over there btw. Back in time to enjoy the she-male contest or whatever that was! (don't ask, those crazy TWMC members J ) Very strong rainfall hit the Sand Hills area on Saturday evening, kinda eerie to be able to view it from camp where it was not raining much (these areas are only 3-4 miles apart). Afterwards we were all viewing the hugest rainbow I have ever seen ... very beautiful against the flora & fauna of the high desert. Not much partying for me on Saturday night, and it seemed there wasn’t much in our immediate vicinity due to the winding & cold weather. Camp fire cleared out by 10pm as a matter of fact, which is just as well … I need all the rest I can get for the task at hand Sunday morning …

Wind rocked the trailer all Sunday night, and I was hoping that was blowing out the cloud cover. My prayers were answered when I was greeted by blue skies come Sunday morning. I had actually managed to drag my wife out here for a day & night, so for the first time ever she was able to see me start a dirt bike event. Even though starts at an enduro are not all that exciting (vs. motocross lets say), she got a kick out of it :)

Course was great, one of the best I've ever had the pleasure of riding on. 20.5 mile loops, none of it so hard that I wasn't enjoying myself ... I had a huge **** faced smile the entire time! Lot's of hills and not-so-whooped out sand washes with no dust until the middle of loop 2 when the sun & wind had managed to dry out the top layer of terra firma. Even then by the time I finished somewhere in the 3rd loop I wouldn't say the dust was ever overwhelmingly bad. At the end of the amateur section I noticed the gas-gas bike parked off to the side of the trail while we waited for the last of the riders to come through the check (we pulled ribbon backwards on the course at that point), and thought to myself, 'hey, Eric has one of those ... ' *doh* turns out it was Eric! haha

That area of the desert is quickly becoming one of my favorite areas to ride ... here's to hoping that it stays open in the future!

Matt

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Oops, forgot to mention I uploaded some pics from this weekend ... here they are in all their glory ...

http://home.attbi.com/~mcassle/HighDesert03.jpg
http://home.attbi.com/~mcassle/HighDesert1a.jpg
http://home.attbi.com/~mcassle/HighDesert1b.jpg
http://home.attbi.com/~mcassle/HighDesert1c.jpg

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Goof Up #1

Got stuck behind a tyke on a 50 for a while, until I got up the courage to do a block pass (the kid couldn't have weighed more than 40 lbs). In my hurry to catch back up, I strayed off course, so I was late to the first and easiest check (48 seconds late =1:0048). Probably the only one late. :confused: What's it coming to when I have to blame little kids for my mistakes? ;)

Goof Up #2

Same section on loop 2, but higher speeds. Somehow, brain fade sets in, and started miscueing in the tight sandy corners resulting in arm fade. It felt like I was wrestling a steer in a China shop (31 seconds late = 1:0031). I could have rode this section a little smarter and been on time (something called "riding possibles").

That was enough damage to make for a mediocre score, but what the hey, it was a great course, the speeds were realistic (for realistic riders), the weather was cool and it was a great time. :thumb:

Last edited:

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by ggoja
John, I've still got your rollchart holder and clock. You getting your bike put back together soon?

Keep 'em; you'll need them for next month's TWMC enduro, thereafter & forevermore - they're yours now: put them to good use and do us proud!

My bike's going back together slowly; started Sunday; am taking my time, going thoroughly thru it - checking all bearings, etc. Prolly won't be riding 'til late fall.

2strk4fun: I've a basic enduro setup 4 U 2. E-mail me your snail mail addie & I'll send them off.

Both: there's plenty of help at the TWMC enduros re: how to keep time - club members are very open to helping out - don't be shy. Ask around, esp. the DRNers there.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
schizzo, shizzle
2-may-tow, 2-mah-tow
:)

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
whatta guy Placelast is.

BTW- I have your pegs, Ill send them off to you. Will you be making it to Kennedy?

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Originally posted by ggoja
Sounds like I missed a fun event.:( For future reference, how do I enter a TWMC event? Just show up and pay da man?

Yep. The trick is finding out which RV the man is hiding in to sign up. :moon:

It was a great ride. Really fun terrain , IMO the best course I've ridden with TWMC. Though I like sand washes, off camber U turns on steep hills, hill climbs, and for a bonus a crazy fun rock canyon switchback section wide enough just to squeeze a tire through. And the best part, Mother Nature sent her water truck through to keep down the dust. :thumb:

I don't thnk Eel mentioned it but I believe he also took 4th. way to go :thumb:

I'm bummed the next one is on fathers day. I'll have to miss it :(

Last edited:

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Ooooh I knew I was missing a good one ... :(

Top Bottom