So, don't mention that darn auction site...

Status
Not open for further replies.

43Duc748

May 13, 2004
For a brief second I thought I saw a thread pointing out a street legal KDX that was for sale somewhere.... but then it was gone.

I don't really understand the "don't say the name of that really popular auction site we all use because they don't pay for advertising". Sure, they don't pay to advertise here, but how many other auction sites are there? Plus, if it's a good place to get parts, then what's the difference from saying you got a part there versus saying you found it at Autozone or Dennis Kirk? If somebody asks me where I found the neat doo-hicky on my KDX I don't see the problem with saying I got it from Cycle City, or I found it on "that auction site".

Whether they guy who started this thread is the seller of the bike up for auction is not my point. If he is, then okay, perhaps a post in the classifieds section would be better. But I'm not sure why a guy can't tell the world of KDX owners that his bike's for sale. It's kinda like the bulletin board at your favorite parts dealer that is covered w/ 3 x 5 cards of bikes for sale. A guy wants to sell his bike, so why not let the club in on it.

It kills me... I'm sure you'd be hard pressed to show me a guy who says, "don't say that name here" has never bought or sold parts there. I guess some folks are wound tighter than others.

---- this post was not intended to offend anyone... if you were offended, then perhaps you should re-think your priorities in life and take a close look at what really is important ---

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
No offense taken. The problem with that thread is that it was spam.

the person posting the "what a great deal I saw on the Bay", was the person selling it.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
and the very reason we don't allow evil-bay ads.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
It goes a little deeper than that

43Duc748 said:
---- this post was not intended to offend anyone... if you were offended, then perhaps you should re-think your priorities in life and take a close look at what really is important ---

If you get that offended about a deleted post, maybe you should re-think your priorities!

43Duc748

May 13, 2004
Jamir said:
It goes a little deeper than that
If you get that offended about a deleted post, maybe you should re-think your priorities!

I wasn't offended by the deletion of the post. This is just the first time I've taken a moment to write what I think about the subject of the no -bay rule. And yes, I knew when I posted that the poster was the seller - the guy was trying to reach an audience w/ a common interest.

Now, perhaps there is some history that I'm not privy to and that is the foundation for the ban on that awful site. I just don't understand the outright ban on mentioning one of the most popular places we all visit to buy and sell parts related to the bike we all know and love.

And, if "it goes a little deeper than that" means something, I don't know what it is.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
If you knew when you posted, then you knew the reason for the deletion. If he stands to profit from it, it's spam. If it's spam it's deleted. Wide audience or not.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Papakeith said:
If you knew when you posted, then you knew the reason for the deletion. If he stands to profit from it, it's spam. If it's spam it's deleted. Wide audience or not.

But it's a KDX ...... :bang:

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
Papakeith said:
If he stands to profit from it, it's spam. If it's spam it's deleted. Wide audience or not.

The For Sale section falls under this category then.

Rules is rules and is understood. No sense in :bang: over it.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Many of us buy and sell stuff on that site all the time, but this is not the place for free advertisement. It might not seem obvious to you, but to me, it's kinda like that Uncle at Thanksgiving dinner that is trying to sell everyone insurance and won't STFU about it. This site consists of lots of good people, none of which wanna buy insurance. But hey, if you wanna start a "spam zone" web site that alows every mehoff to post his for sale stuff for free, so be it, go get some bandwidth and let us know how it goes. YZ165

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
lepper said:
The For Sale section falls under this category then.

The for sale forum is a place for those who choose to support this site to sell some of their excess items. No different than if you place a classified ad with your local newspaper. If you try to slip a for sale ad in without supporting or essentially paying for the ad it is considered

spam.JPG

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
I think you took it out of context.... I did quote the post I was referring too. Over simplifying a rule can sometimes be misinterpeted and that was the point. ;)

For the record so it is not misinterpeted.... I understand the rule.

Jan 16, 2005
Now I kind of understand why a month or so ago, someone was asking the going rate for a used KDX. I posted three listings from a regional classified, I mentioned model/year and price, but did not post the source, and of course not a phone number. My intent was to only help the guy not get screwed by paying too much. My reply got deleted. ??

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Well, in your case it was probably deleted just because it was a KDX. :laugh:
Have to keep up appearances you know ;) :nener: :rotfl:

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
Of course... I mean it's only smart business to harass and make fun of the the people who make up the most popular forum on the site.... right? I mean... these people aren't going to get tired of it and find somewhere else to go are they.

Now that's a great business model and it's great to have all the helpful insights you bring.

Jan 16, 2005
Papakeith said:
Well, in your case it was probably deleted just because it was a KDX. :laugh:
Have to keep up appearances you know ;) :nener: :rotfl:

I just sneezed and a booger landed right on your avi. :nener:
Coincidence?...I think not.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
lepper lighten up. sheesh some of you KDX guys need to go up a size or two on your underoos.

rubbersidedown, got a hankie? :)

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
lepper said:
Of course... I mean it's only smart business to harass and make fun of the the people who make up the most popular forum on the site.... right? I mean... these people aren't going to get tired of it and find somewhere else to go are they.

Now that's a great business model and it's great to have all the helpful insights you bring.

And we 'd be missing what exactly if you took your ball and went home? Your financial support of the most popular forum you get to enjoy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom