So I broke down and bought a Canon

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
After playing with it for just a day or so I have to say I'm starting to understand why you guys like Canons so much.

I'm pretty happy with these pictures considering they were shot through filthy windows without a polarizing filter and they were tough contrasty lighting across the scene.

Attachments

• IMG_0019_drn.jpg
    IMG_0019_drn.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0025_drn.jpg
    IMG_0025_drn.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0033_drn.jpg
    IMG_0033_drn.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 269

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Chili said:
I'm at work and can't snoop the exif here, what Canon? What was wrong with the D200?

The D200 is the KING, I just wanted something small and light to carry around for day to day stuff, and for scouting out landscape shooting locations for the D200.

So I went to B&H Photo and got this for $135

425439.jpg

Pretty amazing how good a camera you can buy for that little money.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Nice, I've been trying to find an ultra slim P&S for cheap for Char. With her health troubles she can't handle the dSLR's. Figured I'd be able to find something older in the 3-4 MP range for that kind of price but so far no luck.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I never played with it for a whole day but I knew a guy named Dave that had a black powder cannon. He used to bring it to desert races and shoot it off after every one went to sleep. He was over at George's shop once and he was playing with it in the parking lot. It was sure loud. George was having a mouse problem so he invented a humane mouse trap. It was a 5 gallon bucket with a dog food dish in the bottom and also some used 90w. Well the meeces would drop in for the free chow and then they couldn't get back out with their slipperdy foots. Dave was looking for some excitement, and he was a little odd, so he got one meece that had already croaked from the effort of not getting out of the bucket and he tried to shoot a mouse out of a cannon. We couldn't watch since it was early in the day and we weren't drunk yet. Anyway, we asked Dave how it went and he said it would have been better if he'd had the correct caliber of mouse. That was a purdy old cannon since it was in like, about, 1985 so I'm sure they have better ones now.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Chili said:
Nice, I've been trying to find an ultra slim P&S for cheap for Char. With her health troubles she can't handle the dSLR's. Figured I'd be able to find something older in the 3-4 MP range for that kind of price but so far no luck.

Doug - This has a nice range of optical zoom and a reasonably fast lens. For the money I think it would be tough to beat, and it's small enough to carry around all day.

Powershot A530 Features:

* 5 Megapixel CCD imager for up to 13x19-inch prints
* 4x optical 35-140mm f/2.6-5.5 zoom, 4x digital zoom
* 1.8" color LCD with up to 10x playback zoom
* Advanced TTL AiAF 9-point autofocus system
* Program AE and Manual modes
* Pre-programmed creative scene modes for beginners
* Movie mode w/sound, 640x480 / 320x240 up to 1GB, 160x120 up to 3 minutes
* 2.1fps Continuous burst capture of Large/Fine images
* Evaluative metering on focus point, Center-weighted or Spot options
* Stitch Assist mode for perfect panoramas
* Exposure compensation: +/-2EV in 1/3-step increments
* White Balance: Auto, 5 presets or Custom
* Orientation sensor that automatically detects vertical or horizontal shooting
* Low-light focus assist illuminator
* Light-guide zoom flash, angle changes with focal length
* Optional High-Power Flash HF-DC1
* Shutter speeds of 15 seconds to 1/2000 second
* Selectable ISO settings from 80 to 800
* Voice memo (up to 60 secs) can be attached to images
* Built-in microphone and speaker
* Powered by two standard AA type batteries
* Direct print and PictBridge Compatible
* USB 2.0 high speed connectivity for PC and Mac
* Secure Digital memory cards, 16MB supplied

VD - I think it's time to check the dose on your meds Mister. :whoa:

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Thanks Rich!

The wife has been hinting of an economical Digital Camara she can pack around in her purse (or what I consider qualifies as a duffle bag ;) ) for Christmas!

I think this would be perfect!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Chili said:
How small is it Rich? I was really looking for one of those ultra slims that would go in a shirt pocket type of thing.

It's bigger than that Doug.

Dimensions (W x H x D) 3.56 x 2.52 x 1.70 in. / 90.4 x 64.0 x 43.2mm

Weight Approx. 6.00 oz. / 170g (camera body only)

Okiewan said:

It's King of my camera world, which is the only one I really care about.:boss:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I've actually been thinking along the same lines, Rich. I want something small that I can take anywhere/ just leave in the car for when we want to take a few pics.

$135 is a decent price.

B

biglou

Cool perspective. I can see where I work in the second shot, the Merch. Mart. (Blue-ish pyramid shaped roof cap). Interesting to see the view looking toward the building rather than from it, expecially the curved glass building on Wacker.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Hey Rich, thanks for the nice review! Coincidentally, I just bought the 4 MP version of this, quite spontaneously, actually. I was in Office Max looking at laptops (another thread?) and I noticed a sale on the Canon A520. I paid $55.00, after a 20% clearance discount. My daughter turns 12 soon and has been wanting a digital camera of her own for a while. She is pretty good with my ancient Minolta Dimage 7i. Sounds like this should work well for her. We have learned the convenience of a digital that uses AA or AAA batteries! it saves both $ and effort. Of course I was lured to this thread because I too am looking for an upgrade! :cool: ;)

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
VintageDirt said:
I never played with it for a whole day but I knew a guy named Dave that had a black powder cannon. He used to bring it to desert races and shoot it off after every one went to sleep. He was over at George's shop once and he was playing with it in the parking lot. It was sure loud. George was having a mouse problem so he invented a humane mouse trap. It was a 5 gallon bucket with a dog food dish in the bottom and also some used 90w. Well the meeces would drop in for the free chow and then they couldn't get back out with their slipperdy foots. Dave was looking for some excitement, and he was a little odd, so he got one meece that had already croaked from the effort of not getting out of the bucket and he tried to shoot a mouse out of a cannon. We couldn't watch since it was early in the day and we weren't drunk yet. Anyway, we asked Dave how it went and he said it would have been better if he'd had the correct caliber of mouse. That was a purdy old cannon since it was in like, about, 1985 so I'm sure they have better ones now.
Ahoy VD! I see you thought this was Rich's 'Pirate Tuesday' post! I've got some cannon stories that involve a trip to the emergency room & stitches....

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I was lured by SpdyKen to this thread with a hint 'O Pirate Speak, but avast! I think I might have found the digital cannon I have been seeking, matey's. ;)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
sometimes, I wish I was a dude who dug dudes so I could profess my man-love for Wes . . .

That's some good stuff right there, pardner

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
So, Rich, this camera does not need a charger because you just replace the batteries?

B

biglou

Nat-You can use disposable batts, or buy rechargables and probably save money in the long run. But they are regular AA or AAA size batteries, yes.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Hey Natalie,
I like cameras like this that use AA or AAA batteries because you CAN choose to never recharge batteries, if you like. I choose to use 15 min. rechargable batteries 99% of the time, but it is sure nice to be able to also choose to buy batteries in a pinch.
Some cameras require you to put the camera in a "docking station" to charge their built - in proprietary battery, which also ends up being expensive and hard to find, when it goes bad!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Thanks Lou and Ken, I started researching this camera because it sounds like what I have been looking for too. Rich is notoriously picky about his cameras ;) so I figgered this one was da bomb!! My last camera was a Kodak easy share POS and that docking station and having the batteries lose power rather quickly was really aggravating.

Changing out the batteries doesn't sound so bad, how often do you think that will occur?

Nat

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Hello, Natalie,
We have to wait another 1.5 weeks to try ours out and give you a review. Do please remember, your question is kind of like "how often do I have to put gas in my bike?" Hard to qualify without more, very specific information & qualification. "Your mileage may vary."
With 2 girls in the house, we have a lot of electronic gadgets that use AA and AAA batteries. We have good luck with the Ray-o-Vac 15 min. rechargables. Despite saying we are not suppose to, we use them in our wireless mouse, our home's programmable thermostat, etc., etc. Of course, ANY battery goes dead when you need it most; so keep spares! KW

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Natty - If you get some of the newer 2500 mAh Energizer rechargable batteries it will run a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG time before you have to think about changing batteries.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Good point Ken! I don't use a camera that often, so I guess it would last a while. Some of the cameras come with charger and rechargeable batteries, so I guess I'll just save money and not get the whole nine yards.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I just bought one after researching a couple options. I never did find anything as low as $135, but did find that there are "reconditioned" versions on Overstock.com ($142+Tax, but only$1.00 for shipping), EvilBay was various, but who knows what you will get. There were packages galore, plus the 1 or 2 GB thingy. I just wanted the camera, and a new one at that. I found it on BestBuy for $149 with free shipping. I got a 1 GB thingy for $14.99. The camera should arrive this week and I will post some pictures of my dog. ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The price at B&H is up to $145 + shipping now so you got a great deal Natty.

Last edited:
Top Bottom