Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
The bike in question is a 1998 CR500. I'd like some opinions as to why the shock feels the way it does.

I was riding at a state forest this past weekend. When I had finished one ride, I happened to push down on my seat after I got off. The sensation I got was that there was nothing there but my spring. I didn't think that this was normal, so I went over to a friends bike and pushed down. You could "feel" the shock working from the begining of the stroke.
It couldn't notice it while riding. Everything felt like it was working. It was just when the bike was standing free, it seemed like there was no valving at work.
It kinda freaked me out, so when I got back to camp I broke out the tools, and proceeded to remove the shock for a closer inspection.
I took the shock off, and removed the spring. I could depress the shock shaft, but there was resistance. Once compressed, if I released the shaft it would return to an extended position slowly on it's own.
There was no sign of oil leaking, and the bladder had a charge in it. I had no way of telling how much of a charge, but by gently pressing on the shcraeder(sp?) valve I was able to hear the nitrogen starting to escape. I know that's not the best way of telling, but it was all I had at the time. I figured I'd be disassebling it anyway once I got home.

That's about it. Anyone got any theories on why it would feel like nothing was there?

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Have it serviced!

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I performed an oil change about six weeks ago. :o Maybe I flubbed something up.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
It felt fine, but it hadn't been serviced since it was new. For that matter I didn't notice anything amiss after I changed the oil either. I set the clickers after the change, and dialed it in. It was just this past weekend when I noticed that something didn't feel quite right.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I'm hoping that's all it is. I will probably be tearing it down this weekend, so one way or another, I'll be finding out.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Sorry, Jeremy, I missed your reply.
Been busy at home with remodeling projects, and just got to the shock tonight. I've actually got it apart at this moment.
When I took the shock apart the oil was all foamy. Other than that, I don't see anything "damaged". I guess I just had some air trapped in the shock. :ugg: I've got to learn how to bleed the air out better.

Jeremy, you mentioned the O-ring on the piston, if I can freely move the O-ring is it time to replace it? I'm guessing yes, so I'll be getting that tomorrow.

Do you have any other guide lines that you can share with us. What key spots we should look at for wear?
I checked the shaft for scratches, the bladder for cracks, the shock body for worn spots, or scratches. Any other spots I should look at when changing the oil?

Thanks all for the suggestions so far. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom