Getoffthekid

Jul 17, 2006
I sold my bike as is although it appears to have nothing wrong with it and it runs and starts fine, guy came to look at it started right up for him bought it i wrote up a bill of sale.

Guy calls next day says he drove it for a while and it ran fine drove it around the yard though all the gears and whatnot, then he brought it down to the place where he rides it and says it wont start? I told him to put a new plug in and then change the gas because the bike sat around for a while before somebody bought it. Called back said it runs fine now? If it stalls out again hes probably gonna call and go nuts again?

Do I have to give him the money back, I mean im not gonna go crazy over $1000 but I just wanted to know what needs to be done here? Am I all set?

Last edited:

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
If you truly knew of nothing wrong with it, and you have cash in hand, I wouldn't sweat it. You may be inclined to give him say 10% back to have it fixed (or go towards it) as a courtesy but when you buy a used bike I think you assume some risk.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
First of all find out why it wouldn't start. When we bought my sons first bike way back when we got it home and no start. I started to get mad but the voice of reason in our house (my wife) told me to call the guy up. I did and he came over with a new plug and started it right up. He then instructed both my son and I on how to properly start it- no problems from then on.
It could be something as simple as he flooded it and the plug is now shot. If you are being honest and not dumping a non running bike you should be just fine

Cr 1_2_5

Nov 13, 2005
when i bought my bike in january. I bought it used and it ran fine at the guys house for about a half hour no problem. I got it home put " my gas and oil" in it and it didnt run. It was simply users mistake. dont sweat it. If he calls back with problems just go through things like that. Other than that i wouldn't loose sleep over it.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
AS IS means the warranty runs out at the end of your driveway.

It ran when he picked it up, and again at his house. You have no control over what he is doing with the bike now, therefore you are not responsible for what might be wrong with it.

But, I would do as others suggested. He just may not know how to operate this particular bike.

stevensj2

Jul 25, 2006
I'd agree with the above.

Be curtious and offer what help and suggestions you can, but you are not at any liability nor responsible for what happens to the bike now.

You don't owe him money for fixing anything that might be wrong (assuming you did not knowingly sell him a busted bike). But if you've got the time, I think assisting him with verbal knowledge would be a good thing.

Top Bottom