some advice on shipping your suspension

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I sent my suspension to Enduro Engineering for the full rework and shipped them UPS. I went through one of these strip mall convenience places to ship them , the places that offer UPS, Fed Ex, US Postal Service etc. I admit I didnt do my home work and didnt realize that they were a middle man of sorts. Meaning they provide these services for these companies, but they are a company in and of them selves, therefore charge a commission for offering these services. I checked online with UPS and Fed Ex after to get actual rates for my package weight and dimension, and found out that for the convenience of them sending these for me, they charged me 20% more on shipping and 50% more on insurance!!! no where on my receipt did it have any charges other than the actual shipping cost, their fees are not extra, they are built in the cost, and not itemized!
Live and learn, I now know to go direct to a UPS or Fed Ex office and leave out the middle man. Just a "heads up" to you all! Shipping suspension is expensive enough without paying someone to slap on a tracking label.

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
I sent my forks and shock to Las Vegas in a plastic gun case from California. It was $25 roughly for the 38lbs package, and that was with the extra $5 that Office Depot tacks on as profit. It was my only option as the nearest UPS counter is about 30 minutes away.

I learned a long time ago thatt the Mailboxes Ect type places are a ripp-off.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
One other bit of advise: Make sure you insure the forks and shock for what their actual cost is. Don't guess at the cost; call the dealer and get the price. You may be surprised at how high it is. :uh:

I'm not knocking UPS but they managed to loose a set of forks from my stepsons bike and they never did find them. :eek: Fortunatly they were insured for enough to cover the cost of new ones.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
ml36; I just shipped them off this week, so I cant judge the work yet. If they are anything like the suspension on the 450 in Dirt Riders 24 hour test, I will be VERY happy! Everyone seemed to love the way that bike handled!
I will keep you posted!

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Ouch! You could buy a new set of Ohlins forks and shock for much less than that.

Where do they get off charging that much for OEM replacement parts?

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Not only that, but if you do ship from an actual UPS customer counter, they are required to inspect the package for proper packing. From that standpoint, if you do have to file a claim for damages, etc., there is very little chance of them denying you your claim due to negligent packing.

DahlElama

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2001
I sent my WP forks and Ohlin shock to LT-Racing earlier this year for a custom setup (BTW - this guy has Ohlins and WP's down! Best setup ever!). I just took it to MailBoxes Etc. Insured for $3000 and the total bill ended up at $80 clams. Probably would have been less than half of that if I would have taken it directly to UPS.

Top Bottom