Some interesting RMZ450 internal engine shots.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
While we were working on a local expert rider's RMZ450 I took some pictures I thought were worth sharing.

The RMZ450 exhaust cam below has less than 20 hours on it :

http://www.ericgorr.com/images/drn/rmz450_exh_lobe_1.jpg
http://www.ericgorr.com/images/drn/rmz450_exh_lobe_1b.jpg
http://www.ericgorr.com/images/drn/rmz450_exh_lobe_2a.jpg
http://www.ericgorr.com/images/drn/rmz450_exh_lobe_closing side.jpg

The RMZ's intake cam looked almost exactly the same, but oddly enough the intake valves were in fairly decent shape. The rings and piston were completely shagged. It smoked like a two-stroke when it came in.

As a comparison, the CRF 450 cam below has 2 seasons on it :

http://www.ericgorr.com/images/drn/HondaCRF450_03_2_seasons on cam.jpg

Forensic work on engines sure is interesting. ;)

All pictures are of the closing ramp side of the cams.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Thanks for the pics, Rich. Very interesting.

What oil was the RMZ rider using and at what change intervals?

Assuming good maintenance practicies, any guesses on how many hours a novice or amatuer rider could expect to get before his lobes looked like that?

john3_16

May 17, 2004
Wow....I've been totally reamed for saying that Honda has a superior build quality than some of the other brands...A traind eye can see the difference easily.

Those pictures totally ruin the idea of "pic a color, there's no difference in quality" that's for sure.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
I have 70 hrs on my 05 RMZ 450,B rider here,my cams look in excellent shape.I do however drop oil every 4 hrs(2 rides) and top off in-between.DELO 400 15/40 Change oil filter every 4th ride (8hrs).
I will take pics.

Matt Fisher

Apr 17, 2002
It looks like there was valve float on the RMZ, no?

What caused the engine's death, according to your autopsy? Is the RMZ450 going to be relegated to crap (aka RMZ250) status?

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Good pics Rich. I guess my only question would be, did he ever change his oil? Even though the valves were floating, seems the oil was not doing its job.

B

biglou

Looks like the journal is badly galled in that last photo, too? Did this thing come in with the factory oil in it?!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
john3_16 said:
Wow....I've been totally reamed for saying that Honda has a superior build quality than some of the other brands...A traind eye can see the difference easily..

one worn out engine bike is hardly proof now is it?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
All pictures are of the closing ramp side of the cams.

What do the opening sides look like?

Was the engine run with no oil? That would explain the death of the piston and rings, also.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
biglou said:
Looks like the journal is badly galled in that last photo, too? Did this thing come in with the factory oil in it?!

Vic said:
What do the opening sides look like?

Was the engine run with no oil? That would explain the death of the piston and rings, also.

The cam cap/bearing in the head has a full circle groove , so the area in the center of the bearing that looks galled is just the space where the groove sits.

At first glance it's easy to think this was an oil related issue , but when you get the parts in your hands is easy to tell it's not likely to be the case. The area of greater pressure on the cam (and the place where the oil has to work the hardest) is the nose of the cam . There is no real indication of excessive wear on the nose (I'll take some new pics tonight). If the oil was the root cause the nose would show signs of it. My guess is the bucket is lofted over the nose at high rpm rather than staying in contact with it. The ridges on the closing ramp aren't galled like you would see in a normal oil breakdown situation, they feel very consistent and evenly spaced, like you see in harmonic patterns. A high zinc oil might have helped, but there are no oils in existence that can cure oddball cam dynamics.

This is a rider who revs the bike hard, and it looks like the valvetrain just isn't up to it, even when new. For the average rider it seems unlikely this is going to prove to be an issue. I guess time will tell.

The rings being worn out after 15+ hours in the hands of a pro level rider is nothing strange. Single compression ring pistons start losing measurable power after just a few hours when ridden hard, even with good maintenance practices. When fast racers start closing in on the 20 hour mark, the rings are just along for the ride. Any hope of good sealing is just a distant memory.

Last edited:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Interesting stuff.

Thanks, Rich.

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
Some of the darker area's of the cams in Rich's pics look like tooling marks ????
Do ya have a close up of a new OEM cam ???
Looks like somebody speeded up the ol CNC a little too fast.

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
Pete Payne said:
Some of the darker area's of the cams in Rich's pics look like tooling marks ????
Do ya have a close up of a new OEM cam ???
Looks like somebody speeded up the ol CNC a little too fast.

That's what I was thinking too, although Rich is THE man.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Those aren't machining marks. ;) Those are "I'm a wicked fast rider who can ride a 450 like a 125" marks. :) I'm trying to get a hold of a set of fresh RMZ450 cams so I can run a Cam Doctor analysis on them and compare them to some of the other OEM 450 cams.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
If you look close you can see the same chatter marks forming on big reds455 EX cam. Definitely not factory machining marks on either examples.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Not exactly a properly-powered prospective, double-blind crossover trial, now is it Rich.... :)

So I think you're saying the RMZ simply had an aggressive pilot? Who piloted the CRF?

Now if somebody took 10 of each bike, 20 riders of mixed skill levels with precise 'time-sharing' of the bikes, and rode them for a certain time period with similar service parameters, .....we might be getting there.... ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
nephron said:
Not exactly a properly-powered prospective, double-blind crossover trial, now is it Rich.... :)

Clearly not. When I typed the original post I had the following disclaimer:

It's far from scientific, I just thought the comparison was interesting..

The computer locked up before I posted and I forgot to put it back in when I retyped it. :bang:

The CRF was ridden by a normal vet rider, but the cam we pulled out of Tyler Smulder's CRF450 after a 1/2 season didn't look much different than the CRF cam pictured. Tyler got his AMA Pro card this season and has an insane revver style like the RMZ450 rider, with Tyler being a LOT faster. So this is just an interesting contrast, nothing more should be read into it. I should have made that clearer from the start. :)

Tyler is going to be on an 06 KXF250 and an 06 KXF450 this season, so it should be interesting to see how they fair.

For the record, Tyler has managed to hatchet the cases apart on his 2003 CRF450 practice bike (rod fatigued and broke in an elastic failure 40mm below the small end) and he has blown a CRF250 practice bike to pieces as well.

I guess the moral of the story is, everything wears out, and fast guys wear stuff out FASTER :)

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
It'll be interesting to see how that poor KXF takes a pro beating on it. Do keep us updated. Pred mentioned KTM, have you had any 250SXF motors come in yet? If they turn out to be reliable, unlike the KXF/RMZ's, they may just get me off that 125 in a couple years...maybe.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Masterphil said:
Pred mentioned KTM, have you had any 250SXF motors come in yet?

There are only a handful of them in the country so I doubt we'll be seeing one any time soon.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I thought you said you'd never bother to work on one... :nener:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
nephron said:
I thought you said you'd never bother to work on one... :nener:

Should be an easy follow thru .... ;)

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
on the KTM250SX, they are using oil pressure to keep the cam chain tentioned. a guy who holds multiple drag race records tells me its a good thing, since the higher oil pressure at high revs will keep the chain nice and tight when it needs it. the problem i see, is that drag cars see 7 sec runs, and i wonder how well the SX will hold its oil as the season goes by. ... all of the single ring thumpers quickly burn oil from what i can see..

Top Bottom