Son going from KX100 to 125 OR thumper?!?

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
The boy has been enjoying riding more lately. I'm thinking it has to do with me not pushing him... Hmmm. ;) I had been kinda down on him, lately he's wanting to ride more, so know I'm thinking about the future a bit.

Anywhooo, I'm lining up ideas on next years bike. He has a KX100 now. He's gonna be 14, 5'10" and about 160lbs. He's an indoor kinda kid, kinda soft. Here's my debate. I think it's time to move on to the regular 125 size bikes, he's starting to look a little cramped on the kx100. Do I put him on a 125 2-stroke (because they are like 20-30 pounds lighter) or pick up another 250f thumper??

I'm more worried about the weight than the power of either. Should I be worried about the weight? Or just get on with it and pick up the thumper?

There is also little debate that the 2-stroke will be LOTS easier to start.

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
Well the new thumpers shouldn't be as hard to start, with auto-decomp coming around now.

The new 250 thumpers are also just about as light as the 125s too. So I guess it's all about his preferences of power. See if you can find someone with a 250f and a 125 2 smoke, see which he likes better.

Does he like the bikes power now? If so he may favor the 125s, but hey anyone can be converted to....the dark side. :)

Never mind, just realized you have a 250F!!! Now just find someone with a 125. :confused:

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
I've got a 250f, and that's why I thought it would be nice to have matching bikes, matching parts, etc.

But I can't help but think the lighter 2 stroke would be the better ticket. Especially after a fall when a thumper is your worst nightmare.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Stormer: Good advice to let him ride both and go from there. It will, however, really suprize me if he doesnt pick the 125 just to be different from you - kids are like that you know (I have a 17 year old son...). That Yamaha YZ125 is AWESOME!! If he picks out one of those - BE THANKFUL!! Like someone once told me "if you dont do it right you may wind up staying at home Saturday watching tv instead of riding :)) KEEP HIM INTERESTED!
Woodsy

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Woodsy,

That's a fact. It's always easier to solve other peoples problems... :)

Sometimes you can't see the forest for the woodsy... :confused: <pun intended>

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
In relation to starting the F's are you going to be racing it in MX? If not get the F. If you are it might be alittle of concern more of perference thing. But then again 2 smokes are suppose to be easy to restart after a fall (HA!) I've gone to being not lapped to lapped cause my YZ 125 refused to start during a race and I kicked the hell out of it! Always seems to be the case when you want it to start and it won't. This has happened to me quite a few times. I'm much shorter and lighter than your son and I don't find the F that hard to start at all not that much harder than my 125 just gotta remember the drill I can get it lit in 2 kicks usually.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Stormer, what does HE want? While you can certainly use your years of experience in helping decide, he's got to get those years of experience just like you did - for himself!

Good luck on the bike decision.

Oh yeah, I'd vote for the 250F! :p

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
MWEISSEN,

We did a lot of riding this weekend, and I brought up the idea to him. He would lean toward the 125, which is what I 'think' I'd rather see him on. Just because it's lighter.

If we did that, I think I'd lower the forks an inch in the triple clamps, and take some pre-load off the rear shock. Maybe put about a 14 ounce flywheel on it, bark busters, etc.. We do more trail riding than racin, so it needs to survive a fall (especially the levers) and not kill when going through deep ruts and over rock ledges and stuff like that.

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Well, we debated for a few days and picked up a used YZ125 for him.

He's taken to it like a duck to water, and I'm happy we went that route. *WHEW*

For the record, he had a trail 90, then a TTR125 for one summer, a KX100 for the next summer and now he's on a full zoot 125. I am very happy with the transitions and the bikes we chose. Of the group, he was least happy initially with the KX100 upgrade. But it had to do with his inability at that period of his young life, to get the hang of how to use the power band. After finally getting a few tanks of gas under him, he got the nac. And in spades, actually. He can pull off things and run down low over obstacles that I'd swear would kill the bike, and he never does. He got the 2 stroke figured out. Hoping on the 125 was like he'd always been on one. And I'm glad about that, it's the fastest of the group, and more of a concern for us parent types ;)

Got the bike home today, and here is:

randon_bike.jpg

jump4.jpg

I made him go home and put more gear on after he started jumping further. Playing around the yard is one thing...

Didn't have to try and lower the bike or anything. Just a great fit. Kind of a sad and happy time for a motorsport dad to see his kids finally grow up and be on the same bike as the rest of the crew. *sniff*

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
stormer -

i know you already got a 125, but you got a big kid and if he is "soft" maybe a heavier bike would have been in order.

but what do i know? my folks bought me 0 dirt bikes. maybe if the dirt bike bug doesn't "take" with this bike you ought to take up fishing or yoga or something. anything to assuage my envy.

jeremiah

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
beerstud,

I know what you mean, my folks bought me squat. I didn't realize it 'til I was about 35, but I think growing up that we was po' folk. I think the fact that I didn't know it speaks volumes about my folks at that time in their lives.

It ain't all a handout, he doesn't own that bike, it's mine and the wifes... ;) Plus, he has to work to get the goods. He wants new plastic and graphics. I told him how much that would run, and what he needs to do to get himself the money. And he's working on it.

My first dirt bike (some 25 years ago) was an old Honda CL100 that I put a used knobby tire on... I gave my neighbor $10 a month from my paper route money to pay it off, all $80 dollars of it.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
And mine ws a 58 sears moped bought in 66 with $50 bucks of HARD EARNED blue berrie pickin money!! Man that was an Awesome bike (I still have the frame from it)! It was a 2 speed (shift on the handle bar) single seat (MANY of my friends rode miles on the rear fender LOL) and a tiny little tin covered 48cc motor. I rode more dirt on that ol moper then Bob Hanna ever thought of!!
Congrats to you and your family Storm! I can tell by the look on your sons face that you WILL NOT be stuck watching tv on those Saturdays! Glad to hear that you folks are into the "teaching work ethic" scene. You certainly have the tools to work with now!! You made the right choice in letting him help make the choice - like I said earlier - I am not surprised that he chose the 125! They are a fantastic bike for a growing boy to learn EVERYTHING about dirtbikes on!! I understand about your "sniffles" but it is a simple fact of life - they grow up (my 17 year old is sitting on the coutch studying advanced algebra - it was just 2 blinks ago that he was in the back yard at age nine riding hhis Honda CT70, "sniff").
You guys are in for a great time! Tell your son he is fortunate to have such loving parents!
Woodsy

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Awesome choice with the '00 YZ 125, Stormer. That YZ is just a bigger, faster, better version of his KX 100 :) Looks like he's right at home on the YZ. Man... is that jump picture in the "yard"? If so - can I move in? :confused:

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Woodsy,

We had a few talks about it, and I think he finally knows how fortunate he is. It's been tough though. My idea of riding and his are different, that took the longest for me to wrap around. Same with clothes and those stupid looking baggy pants... If owning a few pair of baggy pants is incentive for him to clean the garage then who am I to say. I guess part of being a parent is learning that life isn't perfect, deal with it, and enjoy it if possible.

I don't think I've got much to worry about. At 13 he has no visible scars or tatoos that I know about. He doesn't smoke (I'd know), he hangs with the known crowd of good kids, gets good grades and minds his parents. Although he enjoys his brands of music, he can still enjoy a little Ted Nugent when it comes on. Although he's got a girlfriend now (had their first date a few nights ago, he paid for the show for both of them and I flipped him $10 on the way out the door and told him to get the biggest popcorn)... I suspect things will change for a while, and then change again when he gets his drivers license.

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
nikki,

Yea, I think it worked out for the best. :thumb:

That jump is part of my yard (12 acres). Come on out, I've got plenty of room in the basement for a spare cot, and a garage full of tools. :)

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Oh man Stormer that change at DL time is huge - thats when they get their wings and FLY.... I have four kids myself, 2 girls in college, the 17 year old son who is "flying" over/under and around the nest (this is really a great time!) and a 14 year old daughter who just this year seems to have lost all interest in bikes (BOOO HOOOO) but that is all part of it too. I think there is more change coming!! YOu mention the dating game - that is so cool that you slipped him the cash for the BIG corn!! I just slipped my oldest daughter 2800 for this semesters college expenses (they just cant make enough $$ in a year of working to cover it all!! I am not complaining cause I would rather buy bikes/college bills/car repairs ect. then be bailing them out of jail/paying legal expenses!! Parenting is great if you take the time and enjoy those kids!!
Woodsy

Top Bottom